First Hatch Problems??!! What's happening?

MandyH

You'll shoot your eye out!
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Elvis' birthplace......
Real quick this is my first bator hatch and I think my last. Day 18: I got 1 healthy chick, day 19: got 2 healthy 4 with rough navels, day 20: 5 healthy 2 with rough navels, today day 21 one pipped then died. I have 15 more in the bator and I have heard nothing or seen nothing. What in the crap is going on and what do I need to do.

Temp would be the main issue. I think if the temp is too high they pip too early and have many troubles hatching out. It is wise to have at least 2 differnt type thermometers so you can get an idea if your temp is correct. Also, what do you use to judge the humidity? You need to have good humidity, but my guess would be you have temperature issues.
Best wishes!

Is your temp holding at 100 degrees? Is it a still air incubator or forced air. What brand incubator are you using. How are the living chicks doing right now? Have you kept the chicks in the bator or put the in the brooder yet?

Last edited:
OK let me see if I can remember all these ?'s. I have a hova-bator still air, no hygrometer but have kept water trough filled as per directions. I have kept this thing at 100 F even checking it at 1am and 4 am at night. The chicks that have already hatched are great. A couple with rough navels though and they were the ones that hatched on day 20? What's caused that? Thanks for the reply. Gotta have a hygrometer!

Back
Top Bottom