First pairing Cream Legbar roo x PBR

Frank Fodera

Hatching
Dec 1, 2022
I am relatively new to chickens ( About 1.5 years) and completely ignorant about chicken genetics in particular. I have a degree in genetics but never ventured into poultry. I was given a "free chick" from the hatchery which I purchased 6 barred rock hens ... It turned out to be a crested cream legbar roo. My friends enjoy seeing my birds and receiving eggs and have requested that I hatch them some (mostly because the hatcheries are sold out for months). I would like to know how the barring genes may be passed down and how I can use this to sex the birds. Also curious if this will result in olive eggers.
- I plan to post the process and hopefully the outcomes ( chicks)
-Thank you in advance for any advice and information.

There's a thread called Ask nicalandia, that's full of information on genetics.
Both cream legbars and Barred rocks *should be* auto sexing, I'm not sure of the chicks of that mix would be.
Leg bar male chicks are blonde compared to their chipmunk sisters and male barred rocks *should* have a long head spot 'mullet' while his sisters have 'toupees'.
Here's a website full of genetic calculators. With the simplified calculator at top
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#pluginTree

And here's the full genetics calculator.
http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

Since Cream Legbars are also barred all the chicks will be black barred, so I don't think you will be able to sex at hatch, males might have more defined head spot but that's unreliable. it will be easier to tell the difference once they start to feather in, since the cockerels being double barred should show more white barring than the pullets.
The pullets will lay green eggs but the egg genetics of the Plymouth isn't very dark so wouldn't be what most consider "olive"

I’m going to post the results so people can maybe learn from it.

24 eggs went in
24 were fertile
1 quit early (7 days)
1 quit late and never pipped
22 resulting birds (11 female, 11 male)

1- the head spots had no correlation to sex
2- all of the chicks have crests
3- barring WAS consistent with sex. Wide bars are cockerels.
4- this is an insanely fast growing mix (fully feathered at 5 weeks)
5- the females have very weak barring and no bars on their primary feathers much like the “barring” in female cream crested legbars. But many have a white tips on the end of the primaries
6-all offspring have a black base color
7- leg color had no correlation with sex

Back
Top Bottom