First time, day 4 how do these eggs look?

Ankaa

Songster
Apr 10, 2023
Hello, this is my first time doing this on my own and was just wondering how these day 4 eggs look? First half are unknown mixed breeds and second half are Ayam Cemanis. Thank you for your guidance. Important note, the last two AC eggs were cracked when I got them (one internal and one external) I fixed up the external crack with a tiny bit of super glue 24 hours before I put it in the incubator. I was told the internal cracked one didn’t have much of a chance but I wanted to give it a try. It won’t explode will it?
03022D20-C975-4E53-B2C5-4A36CCB7DFBF.jpeg
D464DFA2-B043-4BD9-A688-E4D5E81844B1.jpeg

I fixed up the external crack with a tiny bit of super glue 24 hours before I put it in the incubator. I was told the internal cracked one didn’t have much of a chance
You are going to want to get those out of there as fast as possible. They will explode and ruin your whole hatch, without question.

I fixed up the external crack with a tiny bit of super glue 24 hours before I put it in the incubator. I was told the internal cracked one didn’t have much of a chance but I wanted to give it a try. It won’t explode will it?
Candle those two often, and as soon as anything looks off, get rid of them
I doubt they will make it, but as long as you keep a close eye on (and nose, smell them when you candle!) you shouldn't have problems.
Everyone is going to have different opinions on this, so you will have to make your own judgement as to whether you want to take the risk.

Candle those two often, and as soon as anything looks off, get rid of them
I doubt they will make it, but as long as you keep a close eye on (and nose, smell them when you candle!) you shouldn't have problems.
Everyone is going to have different opinions on this, so you will have to make your own judgement as to whether you want to take the risk.
What would they look for in terms of it being off?

What would they look for in terms of it being off?
Swishy masses with absolutely no veining; and just anything that looks different from the others.
The thing is, it would take about at least 10 days till there is any risk of one actually exploding.
By that time, even with inexperienced eyes, one should be able to pick up that those ones look different from the rest. (if they go bad, that is)
Maybe I just have to much faith in people? 🤷‍♂️

What causes an egg to go bad is bacteria getting inside. Eggs are the perfect media to culture bacteria, most labs use eggs as food when they are trying to grow bacteria. Incubating temperature is the perfect temperature for most bacteria to thrive. If bacteria get inside the egg then the egg will go bad, whether there is a living chick in there or not. Many people seem to think that if an embryo dies the egg is going to go rotten. Not unless bacteria gets in there. That's why I don't remove any egg from the incubator until I go to lockdown. The risk of an egg going bad isn't that high unless the eggs are dirty or you've done something to introduce bacteria, like handling them with dirty hands.

Some will but most eggs that go bad will not explode. The egg shell is porous so it is more likely a syrupy stinky liquid will seep out before pressure builds up enough to explode. Either way it is horrible and can contaminate the other eggs. I do not rely on candling to check for rotten eggs, I sniff them. The egg shell is porous so you should be able to smell a bad egg as it is going bad. I smell the incubator a lot more often than I candle. Nothing wrong with candling those eggs really regularly since you know there could be a problem but I'd personally rely on sniffing.

A standard treatment for eggs with cracks is to seal that crack with wax, usually candle wax. That does two things, it helps prevent bacteria from entering the egg and it reduces the moisture loss that would be occurring though that crack. Superglue would probably work. Lots of chicks have hatched from eggs where cracks have been sealed with wax so that crack is not a death sentence. But that crack provided a possible route for bacteria to enter the egg so it is at a higher risk. You do need to check it regularly.

little early to tell positively, id wait till 10 days to make assessments .. that light colored mottled/speckled one is bad ..

Back
Top Bottom