First Time Mealworm Farming

I am also mealworm farming for the first time and not super impressed. I bought 1000 and have 35 pupae. Today was my first beetle (I bought the worms about a month ago).

Three questions: why are my pupae turning black? They are dead, I’m sure.

Also, I have lost probably 2/3 my mealworms. they turned black and I thought that was from dehydrating. I keep carrots and broccoli stems for hydration. Any ideas on this?

Is it normal for so many to die along the way? Anyone care to share their ratio of beetles to pupae success rate.

Photos of my pupae drawer & my setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 5
I am also mealworm farming for the first time and not super impressed. I bought 1000 and have 35 pupae. Today was my first beetle (I bought the worms about a month ago).

Three questions: why are my pupae turning black? They are dead, I’m sure.

Also, I have lost probably 2/3 my mealworms. they turned black and I thought that was from dehydrating. I keep carrots and broccoli stems for hydration. Any ideas on this?

Is it normal for so many to die along the way? Anyone care to share their ratio of beetles to pupae success rate.

Photos of my pupae drawer & my setup.
For my research when I was doing the mealworm thing black does equal dead. I finally gave it all up and started using my drawer setup for office supplies calligraphy art in my journaling stuff in my little she room.

Also it seems during my reading about chickens and chickens being overweight it's my understanding that if I'm feeding them commercial feed it has everything that they need nutritionally and that really they don't need these worms. I decided to spend my time keeping up with my chickens and spending time with them than worrying about dealing with a mealworm farm.

For my research when I was doing the mealworm thing black does equal dead. I finally gave it all up and started using my drawer setup for office supplies calligraphy art in my journaling stuff in my little she room.

Also it seems during my reading about chickens and chickens being overweight it's my understanding that if I'm feeding them commercial feed it has everything that they need nutritionally and that really they don't need these worms. I decided to spend my time keeping up with my chickens and spending time with them than worrying about dealing with a mealworm farm.
I have other critters that need the mealworms, so I was hoping to save some money. So far, unimpressed with ROI.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom