First time with chickens! Am I going to do it right?

Buddy Lindsey

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2017
I haven’t ever done anything with chickens before, except eat them, so this will be my first foray into the mix. I have put together a plan and I was hoping more knowledgable people than I could review it and give me pointers.

I have spent roughly the last year on and off researching and making sure I understand what to do to get started since no one in my family has done this. Hopefully I have learned enough to get started.

First up I am getting 30 Cornish X hens from a local hatchery, I assume I am I need to call them. I am thinking about first or second week in April to actually get them.

I plan to have them in a brooder for the first 3 weeks, maybe into the 4th depending on weather.

The rest of the time I plan to have them in a chicken tractor. I’m wanting to use John Suscovich’s Stress Free Chicken tractor. https://farmmarketingsolutions.com/stress-free-chicken-tractor-plans From the research I like this one the best.

I will move them daily, in the morning, and feed and water with fresh water in the chicken tractor.

As for the first few weeks of life I am going to have a brooder. As best I understand it I need to have 0.5+ ft^2 per chick. If my math is right on that then a 4 x 4 area is good for that for 30 chicks. My plan is to build a 4 x 8 with a movable divider to make it as big or small as needed, but start with 4x4.

I plan to build one about 2ft high with mesh wire over a 4x2 section and a cap of particle board on the other 4x2 area. Both sides I plan to be liftable on hinges so I can get access to the area.

For bedding I was wanting to use pine shavings as it seems like a lot of people on here use pine shavings. My biggest problem is I don’t know what kind to get, and where. Would the ones from Tractor Supply Work? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ium-pine-shavings-covers-8-cu-ft?cm_vc=-10005

I plan to have 2 waterers 1 as backup and to expand if needed similar to this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ew-on-poultry-waterer-base-green?cm_vc=-10005

For feeding in the brooder I plan to get 2 of these for the same reason as above: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/little-giant-plastic-flip-top-poultry-feeder?cm_vc=-10005

I am going to get 2 heat lamps 250 watt. I’ll hang one so that it hits the 90* mark where the chicks will be on one side of the brooder.

For food I am still researching this out, but I have found Texas Naturals Elite Chick Starter Grower. I can get it for $25 per 50lb bag at a local feed store. It is soy-free non-goo feed :) On their site they suggest using this for the entire 8 weeks for doing broilers. http://texasnaturalfeeds.com/product/elite-chick-starter-grower-crumbles/

From my research it seems like chickens will eat up to 15 lbs of feed for their life time. So that means for 30 chickens I need 450lbs of feed.

I think for the brooder that is about all I can think of. Am I missing something?

For out on pasture I will use the chicken tractor from above moving it everyday. I plan to use a 5 gallon bucket with water nipples in the bottom so they can drink.

For feed storage I was going to get a container like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubbermaid-brute-container?cm_vc=-10005

I was also planning to have grit while in the brooder and on pasture available for them to get at anytime: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/manna-pro-poultry-grit-25-lb

And in the end I was planning on processing them myself. I’ll research that equipment later, and prices. Was hoping to find someone local to rent a plucker from, heh.

I think that about covers what I am aware of that I need to do and get for doing 30 meat chickens.

Here are some questions:
How can I manage the temperature during the day with the heat lamp so that it doesn’t get too hot for the chicks? Or will they move around and find the ideal temperature as it fluctuates?
How thick of pine shavings?
How often do I replace the pine shavings?
What do I do with the pine shavings after the chicks are out on pasture?
Do I need to have a dirt bath available as well once on pasture?

Thank you for at least taking the time to read this.

Holy Moses I'm exhausted just reading your plan! Good job on working out so many of the details in advance. I've never raised Cx birds so I can't really comment on the substance- but just wanted to give you kudos on the extensive planning work!
Although, you might want to double check using pine shavings in the bedding of the brooder. I feel like I heard that very young chicks will try to eat it so it has to be covered with paper towels or something until they learn not to eat it.
Anyway, great job and good luck!

You are way over thinking things.

Brooder is good, but you want to plan your raising of chicks when outside temps are at least 50* at night. They will pile up and die at 5 and even 6 weeks if temps aren't above that and they have no supplemental heat. Don't worry about too hot. Outside temps and when they leave the brooder is the most important.

One heat lamp will be fine.

Other than that, just let them range unless you have heavy predation. No need for tractors for 30 birds. It just complicates things for the first time through. They won't go far, but will enjoy the freedom.

Buy a couple bags of feed and store in a metal trash can with a tight fitting lid. Buy feed as needed. Mice and rats will get into anything plastic and extra bags of feed laying around.

Kill and pluck them yourself without a rental. Do it by hand the first time for a learning experience.

I'll second the "great research" comment and the "overthinking" part. Relax and enjoy.

I've found it is not that hard. Food, water and shelter. Focus on the basics and the rest comes.

Temperature control - watch the birds. Huddled together, add warmth. Spread out and panting, cool it off.

This is still my first foray. I'd suggest to start with layers. It appears to be slightly less complicated. Meat birds are different and I'll learn this year. Layers are a great learning experience. I was convinced I was going to lose them all. All lived. Just lost one due to laying complications. If I can do it, most anyone should be able to.

Also, jump right on in! The water is fine.

I used a reptile temperate control that i plugged my heat lamp in and controled the temp in my brooder that way when i got my chicks last year. Worked like a charm and i think its a good investment if your going to be raising chicks ever year. They do run about 50 dollars, but are well worth it. As far as pine shaving go, use the shavings that look more like chips over the ones that look like fine shavings. Yes, the chicks will eat the smaller particles. They will be fine if they end up eating a little piece of wood. Scared me to death when i first saw my chicks eating the wood chips.i would keep the shavings about 1/4 inch thick and change the shavings once a week or more depending on how dirty it gets with 30 birds. i still keep wood shavings to put in my coop, but that decision is up to what you want in your coop. I would recomend offering chick grit the first 9 weeks as per package directions. Regular grit is too large for chicks to eat. I made a dirt bath for my chickens, they have only ever played in it when it rained and left it flooded. Since your doing a chicken tractor and plan on moving it around often your chicks wont have time to establish chicken bath holes so maybe they'll use a man made chicken bath. I butchered my first chicken not too long ago, i definitely recommend the scalding method when plucking, the feathers just come right out. My husband warned me there is a smell when gutting an animal. He was right, i cant explain what it smelled like but it is noticeable so don't be alarmed by that when it comes time to butcher.

Although, you might want to double check using pine shavings in the bedding of the brooder. I feel like I heard that very young chicks will try to eat it so it has to be covered with paper towels or something until they learn not to eat it.

Thank you will do some more reading on that. I think I saw something about it, but wasn't too sure. Will keep reading.

Brooder is good, but you want to plan your raising of chicks when outside temps are at least 50* at night. They will pile up and die at 5 and even 6 weeks if temps aren't above that and they have no supplemental heat. Don't worry about too hot. Outside temps and when they leave the brooder is the most important.

Thanks. I think in May I should be good for those temps, but I'll jump on a weather site and look at average temps for that time frame.

Mice and rats will get into anything plastic and extra bags of feed laying around.

I'll look for something metal then.

Kill and pluck them yourself without a rental. Do it by hand the first time for a learning experience.

I have debated back and forth on this. I think if I can't get a plucker easily i'll do it by hand. I actually don't know anyone around here that would have one, so...

I used a reptile temperate control that i plugged my heat lamp in and controled the temp in my brooder that way when i got my chicks last year.

That is a great idea. I am going to research that.

As far as pine shaving go, use the shavings that look more like chips over the ones that look like fine shavings.

Do you maybe have a link to somewhere to buy it so I can look at it to see what I can find locally?

Regular grit is too large for chicks to eat

Very good point. I'll definitely look for some chick grit.

My husband warned me there is a smell when gutting an animal. He was right, i cant explain what it smelled like but it is noticeable so don't be alarmed by that when it comes time to butcher.

Thanks for the warning. I am definitely not looking forward to that. I am also not sure how my wife is going to like it either. heh. She isn't the biggest fan of this whole venture in general. She grew up doing cattle. Never ventured into chickens.

www.tractorsuppy.com and search pine flake and it will come up. My local tractor supply also carries fine pine shavings in a yellow bag which is why i said look for the ones that look more like chips. The pine flake i could do about 2 and 1/2 changes in my 4 ft by 4ft big chick brooder.The chicks will kick the smaller shavings out of the brooder thru the poultry wire so be prepared for a mess.
(edit) Sorry i just realized that you were looking at the exact same shavings i was talking about.

Last edited:
I used the larger TSC pine flakes under the paper towels in the brooder. Roll the towels up while unrolling the clean ones. Pick up chicks, check for pasty butt and healthy eyes, put on clean side. Worked until they were jumping over the divider, then had to put a big divider in to handle everyone. Handling them everyday is one way to start taming. I had a lot of help with my kids. Youngest had a ball. Trying to arrange for next flock while she is home from college to help tame.

Paper towels will work for the first couple of weeks. Supposed to be good to prevent leg issues. Yes, they eat everything like puppies or humans. If it fits in the mouth, it is mine. Some shavings isn't bad. I had one chick that looked like it only ate shavings. One of the smallest. Each had a definite personality.

Back
Top Bottom