Fish in a duck pond?

Birdmaster3

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
I am digging a pond for my 12 ducks and I am still figuring out what liner and filter I'm going to use., and how to keep it clean(ish).
I would also like to put mosquito fish or other fish in it.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

We use minnows and goldfish. When the goldfish get too big for the duck pond, we transfer to a hydroponics system. Then when we need room, we prepare them up for the ducks ad treats

How big was your pond?
How did you filter it and do you think I could keep fish in mine? Mine is pretty big I haven't measured it yet but the deepest is taller than me and I'm 5,7

How big was your pond?
How did you filter it and do you think I could keep fish in mine? Mine is pretty big I haven't measured it yet but the deepest is taller than me and I'm 5,7
We took an old 16 ft Walmart pool liner and dug that into the ground. We have a sump pump as a filter that brings the water up to a makeshift rock waterfall feature . We also have 2 small koi in there to help with the algae

That the coolest part, hubby put it I. A large peice of PVC. That has a piece to just keep a little off the bottom and.a mesh screen on top so the water goes in and the junk gets pushed off the mesh. The screen fits over the hose with a metal ring then attached to the side of the pvc so he can just lift it straight out

I have a 10ft round above ground pool dug into the ground. 1.5 years ago I dumped in over 50 cheap feeder goldfish. Followed by 2 turtles. 0 mosquitos seen, but there were water beetles. The 2.5ft depth allows everyone to dive and kept the turtles and fish unfrozen despite a record cold winter. (The ducks have recently re-discovered the now 5" fish and its an effort to eat them, causing much dropping and stealing and running.)

They were wary of the sharp edge drop-off, so you might use a sloped edge to encourage a specific entry point. They also love standing on top of the fish cave to bathe so I recommend some high spots just a few inches below the water surface. No plant lasts more than 15mins, so cage anything you plant.

I upgraded the pump and filter, but its still not enough and the water is green. Any expansion would include a wetland rock/gravel/perforated pvc system and a feather skimmer. Add a low spot to pool vac/drain sludge. You can't go wrong with over filtering.

Currently 18 ducks, 2 geese. Last year was 12 geese, 8 ducks.

Back
Top Bottom