Florida heat, rain, and pest-proof (like ants) feeder?

AnneRaduns

Chirping
Jun 15, 2021
Central Florida
I am currently using an OverEZ chicken feeder. I purchased it about a year ago. So far - I am not impressed. I keep the feeder in the run, which is completely covered. The feeding ports are enormous and allow the chickens to throw feed all over. I have it up on cinder blocks, abut 18 inches off the ground. But I am finding a lot of ants in the feed. The feed is also getting wet and moldy, particularly around the ports, so I am thinking that rain/moisture is getting in there.

Any Florida (or hot/humid places) peeps have any suggestions for a feeder that's heat, rain, and ant proof? Or is that just too much to ask for in a feeder?

Thank you in advance-
Anne

What are you feeding the chickens and how many are there? How much feed do you put in the feeder? What kind of ants are getting in? Fire ants?
If the chickens are throwing feed around, maybe something is wrong with it? Make sure the feed is not out of date, and don’t put out more than one day’s worth.

I don't know if it makes a difference in re: ants, but I have my traditional metal feeder hanging from a chain.

0412211457a_hdr-jpg.2614585

It never gets wet or moldy because I either keep my feeders under this shelter or I keep them inside the big, Open Air coop.

What are you feeding the chickens and how many are there? How much feed do you put in the feeder? What kind of ants are getting in? Fire ants?
If the chickens are throwing feed around, maybe something is wrong with it? Make sure the feed is not out of date, and don’t put out more than one day’s worth.
All great questions - I am feeding Grubbly Farms Fresh Pecks layer feed (pellets). I put the whole bag in the feeder which is 30lbs. The feeder can hold 50 pounds so there is a lot of room inside. I check the expiration date when it's delivered and it's good. I have 11 laying chickens. They free-range most of the day but they are in and out of the run and coop. I find I go through a 30lb bag about once a month. But I also find a lot of food in the run just laying about. The ants are mostly like Florida Carpenter ants. They are annoying and can bite but not dangerous like fire ants.

I like your idea of reducing the feed. Maybe a couple of days worth at a time and see how that goes.

I think most respondents are going to struggle understanding our humidity and our bugs.
The ants here often act like they've been exposed to nuclear waste. We have to regularly poison our parking spot to keep them off our (clean) car. They come for the moisture, I think.

OP, dry food doesn't seem to attract ants. Easier said than done, I know.
The food doesn't have to get rained on, it absorbs water from the air. Hot air holds more water, so humid hot days are the worst.
We only put out 2 days of food at the most, that seems to help. When the feeders are emptied is a great chance to run a cloth or paper towel around in there to dry any condensation. Pay especial attention to the crevices. If we see visible mold, we scrub with dish detergent and bleach, because small amounts of mold grow into big amounts, and that can be bad for your birds. I know it's more work, but clean food and water are #1.

I have 11 laying chickens. They free-range most of the day but they are in and out of the run and coop. I find I go through a 30lb bag about once a month. But I also find a lot of food in the run just laying about.
You must have really good forage. 11 birds X 0.25 lb/bird/day X 30 days/month = 82.5 lbs/month.

If they were hungry you wouldn't see feed lying around on the ground.

You can paint the chain or rope hanging the feeder with something like automotive grease or Tanglefoot to keep the ants from climbing down.

I think most respondents are going to struggle understanding our humidity and our bugs.
The ants here often act like they've been exposed to nuclear waste. We have to regularly poison our parking spot to keep them off our (clean) car. They come for the moisture, I think.

OP, dry food doesn't seem to attract ants. Easier said than done, I know.
The food doesn't have to get rained on, it absorbs water from the air. Hot air holds more water, so humid hot days are the worst.
We only put out 2 days of food at the most, that seems to help. When the feeders are emptied is a great chance to run a cloth or paper towel around in there to dry any condensation. Pay especial attention to the crevices. If we see visible mold, we scrub with dish detergent and bleach, because small amounts of mold grow into big amounts, and that can be bad for your birds. I know it's more work, but clean food and water are #1.
Yes!!! Makes 100% sense. I appreciate your input. Anne

All great questions - I am feeding Grubbly Farms Fresh Pecks layer feed (pellets). I put the whole bag in the feeder which is 30lbs. The feeder can hold 50 pounds so there is a lot of room inside. I check the expiration date when it's delivered and it's good. I have 11 laying chickens. They free-range most of the day but they are in and out of the run and coop. I find I go through a 30lb bag about once a month. But I also find a lot of food in the run just laying about. The ants are mostly like Florida Carpenter ants. They are annoying and can bite but not dangerous like fire ants.

I like your idea of reducing the feed. Maybe a couple of days worth at a time and see how that goes.

Even such a premium feed could deteriorate if the whole bag is outdoors in a feeder, so just reducing what’s out could make all the difference.
I know my chickens don’t like stale feed —which would happen here if it was out all night—so I try to only give them what they’ll eat in one day.
I use 20% protein all-flock crumbles, which comes in 50 lbs. I divide and store it in 3 sealable containers, 2 in which I place reusable gel packs to absorb moisture. I keep these in a cool dry place. They really do retain a fresh smell. The 3rd is the working container. I feed my 11 member flock in 3 dog bowls, which get emptied of any leftovers every evening They like it and don’t spill it or waste it. If I were to leave out feed here overnight, it would attract possums, mice, bugs, etc. The ants here don’t bother it or dog bowls wouldn’t work.
We use up 50 lbs in about 6 weeks, and I check dates on bags before buying.

Back
Top Bottom