Jul 2, 2022
NellyVille & KelceLand
For the past 4 years I have used artificial light for an extra 3 hours or so after darkness for my chickens. Just started breeding quail last summer so they have been using artificial light since then. Starting this summer I’m going to stop using light however since I have used it for so long I’ve been reading up on molting. Is it true that I need to force molt myself with lights? No big deal if I need to do so I just want to do it successfully!! Wanted input on what others do or if it’s not true that I need to force molt? My chickens still go through molts even with light but possibly they need a good molt and schedule until this summer? Thank you in advance!!

For the past 4 years I have used artificial light for an extra 3 hours or so after darkness for my chickens. Just started breeding quail last summer so they have been using artificial light since then. Starting this summer I’m going to stop using light however since I have used it for so long I’ve been reading up on molting. Is it true that I need to force molt myself with lights? No big deal if I need to do so I just want to do it successfully!! Wanted input on what others do or if it’s not true that I need to force molt? My chickens still go through molts even with light but possibly they need a good molt and schedule until this summer? Thank you in advance!!
Fyi I didn’t do the lights for eggs. For my chickens it was just a schedule I have done bc once it’s dark outside they all head in their coop and then take turns eating and drinking then perch or lay down to sleep. They also sleep even with lights on they have their own schedule. So I know they aren’t missing out on sleep.

Why, do you want to force a molt? It's kinda like forcing them to lay, unless your raising them year round for the eggs, forcing a molt so they start laying earlier than they would normally, would be the only reason to do this, only puts more undue stress on them.

Back
Top Bottom