Formex coop reviews?

Kristin153

In the Brooder
May 2, 2018
Hello! I'm looking for a coop to house 4 hens (Australorp/Orpington mix) that will be easy to clean, withstand Chicago temps reasonably well, and come together quickly (1 week chicks in house). Also need predator resistant (raccoon) although it's an option to enclose it in the run. Formex seems to have better reviews than Eglu. Any thoughts? Also if anyone has one they want to sell, I'm interested (either brand). Or should I just go with a cheap Costco one? I just need something at least for a year or 2, but would like at least 3 years if spending on a formex or eglu. Thanks!!

You will need at least 16 s.f. for 4 hens. To be honest, I have never seen a pre-fab coop that was not a piece of junk: poorly designed, poor materials, falsely advertised, lacking adequate ventilation, and over priced. With your cold weathers, the typical short prefab coop will lack adequate head space to allow enough cu. ft. to provide good air circulation without drafts, and it won't hold enough bedding. In other words, your girls will be very prone to frost bite.

@Kristin153 Have you read the reviews on Amazon in regards to the formex snap lock coop? Since it is plastic and so is the eglu for that matter, it will last a very long time. Not sure why you only want one for 2-3 yrs though.
I couldn't justify the cost, but was really considering the formex. But, then I realized, I could get a much bigger vinyl shed for that price. However, I opted out of both since I have no good shade and plastic tends to get much hotter.
I also had a prefab from tsc. While it was ok for the time I had it, it wasn't good enough. I worried every night that something would rip the sides off.
Then, my hubby finally agreed to build one. We used scraps lying around that were just taking up space anyway. It isn't cutesy, but it sure is sturdy.
Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom