Found worms… looking for guidance

Chickenandgreens

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2023
So I thought my flock had coccidiosis based on symptoms and talking with you guys, I treated with coild for the outbreak and the bloody poops went away.
Well today I went out and found a large worm in one of the poops were my younger pullets sleep. I know I need to treat for worms now and based on how I can see it I’m guessing tape worm?
I know one particular pullet looks a little rough and guessing she has it the worse but if one has them, I would prefer to treat them all
Problem- these pullets are not people friendly out of nine of them I can only hold two of them
Question- what dewormer works best for smaller birds, what wormer is easiest to give? do I have to give meds in the morning before they go out?( not a early riser) or can I do it at say midnight when they have been in for five hours already. I have someone to help me hold the birds and I know catch them at night is easier. Three of my white pullets look the same is there a safe marker I could use to mark what bird got medicine so I don’t double dose? First time chicken owner btw
I have access to a TS and many other feed stores, should I sent in a fecal sample to a vet or is that even necessary?
Attached is photo of worm
On the other had I will be down sizing my flock in the spring as nine chickens has proven to many to handle

Attachments

• 18E16D54-224F-4785-A529-0EB2DE3D5407.jpeg
    18E16D54-224F-4785-A529-0EB2DE3D5407.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 45
Thank you but the link is for valbazen dewormer not safeguard. I know they are different. I have bantam size birds and small pullets along with one laying size hen
Sorry, they mix in my mind. 😅 You can use either, they both treat roundworm.
Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml for a standard (5lb) size chicken given orally and repeated in 10 days. so about a third ml for a banty. SafeGuard is 1/4 ml per lb given orally for 5 days in a row. You can give it once and then repeat in 10 days for roundworms only. Take them off the roosts at night or seperate them and mix the dose in a treat.

I always have found it easier to get up before daylight (or after dark when asleep) and take them off the roost to worm or medicate them. Take them into your arm close to the body, pull down on their wattles to open the beak, squirt in 1/2 ml at a time, and release the wattles to let them swallow. Put them back on the roost or set them down in the coop. Using a red headlamp bulb can make it easier to sneak up on them without alarming everyone in the dark.

I always have found it easier to get up before daylight (or after dark when asleep) and take them off the roost to worm or medicate them. Take them into your arm close to the body, pull down on their wattles to open the beak, squirt in 1/2 ml at a time, and release the wattles to let them swallow. Put them back on the roost or set them down in the coop. Using a red headlamp bulb can make it easier to sneak up on them without alarming everyone in the dark.
My birds don’t have wattles they are all young pullets most born early this year. My plan is to do it in sets, young red ones , whites, bantams, etc. I think we will be doing valbazen as it’s on dose then another in 10 days. Everyday meds for 10days would not work for me.
Dosage of Valbazen is 1/2 ml for a standard (5lb) size chicken given orally and repeated in 10 days. so about a third ml for a banty. SafeGuard is 1/4 ml per lb given orally for 5 days in a row. You can give it once and then repeat in 10 days for roundworms only. Take them off the roosts at night or seperate them and mix the dose in a treat.
Wait so I can give safeguard once then again in 10 days I thought that was for Valbazen? I also have no idea how much my birds weigh like at all. Three are pretty small bantams, d uccles and cochins. I would rather give orally to make sure everyone got it but afraid of aspiration

My birds don’t have wattles they are all young pullets most born early this year. My plan is to do it in sets, young red ones , whites, bantams, etc. I think we will be doing valbazen as it’s on dose then another in 10 days. Everyday meds for 10days would not work for me.

Wait so I can give safeguard once then again in 10 days I thought that was for Valbazen? I also have no idea how much my birds weigh like at all. Three are pretty small bantams, d uccles and cochins. I would rather give orally to make sure everyone got it but afraid of aspiration
Mix it in to a treat, like a bread ball and give it to each one. Can you get a scale?
That's I've been led to believe about the valvbazen, one dose, then another in 10 days.

Mix it in to a treat, like a bread ball and give it to each one. Can you get a scale?
That's I've been led to believe about the valvbazen, one dose, then another in 10 days.
Possible would mean I would have to separate them, only three would eat it out if my hand, is 1/4 or 1/2 ml of liquid enough to hurt them. Then how do I clean the run? The walls of coop etc! Seems almost impossible to keep to clean outside as they have a large run. Other people are telling me to just load them up with peppers, garlic, herbs etc I think that’s great at preventing but we have them now. Going to bring the cats in to also get dewormed and talk to my doctor if I could possibly have them as well. Im like ready to give up on chicken keeping this is way to much for me… anyone located in sonoma county CA? I’ll cut you a deal?

I just read on another thread (won’t let me insert the link) that I could add safeguard in as a mash for five days! My birds love mash I feed it to them once in a while and they all love it, this seems like it would work for me as safeguard is way cheaper and I don’t have to put liquid down the bird mouth. Question could I bird eat to much mash/meds I know I only give them mash no treats for five days straight do I need to retreat in another week to make sure. Do I also need to weigh each bird or can I add some photos and ppl could let me know estimate weights/ I estimate myself. I don’t want to under-dose or over dose
@wyroprock
@Eggcessive

Attachments

• DC782966-8F6A-49D5-B4B7-1F14632427D1.jpeg
    DC782966-8F6A-49D5-B4B7-1F14632427D1.jpeg
    746 KB · Views: 14
  • B65556D8-E8EC-44B4-B812-C19ACB3DBCE1.jpeg
    B65556D8-E8EC-44B4-B812-C19ACB3DBCE1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • AD2A54E1-2EC3-4C0C-B153-CBC7E17442A3.jpeg
    AD2A54E1-2EC3-4C0C-B153-CBC7E17442A3.jpeg
    689.3 KB · Views: 9