Fowl Pox and laying hens

Lin B

Chirping
Mar 4, 2021
I cannot find any information on if I can vaccinate a laying hen for fowl pox??? I may have it on one of my roos and want to vaccinate everyone. Mosquitoes were bad this year. It says to vac at least 4 weeks prior to laying. So what is to be done for laying hens?? Anything?

What is your general location? Vaccinating for fowl pox may be more important in tropical areas and the deep south. If it was a problem in my area, I would probably vaccinate. You could wait for a time when their laying slows down, say in winter, when the daylight hours are shorter. The vaccine may possibly be detected in the eggs, and that may be the reason that it is recommended before they start to lay. How old are your hens? Mosquitoes in the coop during hot weather can be controlled by permethrin spray every 30 days, clearing standing water puddles, and other means. Here is some info on the fowl pox vaccine:
https://www.drugs.com/vet/fowl-pox-vaccine.html

my hens are 8 months to 14 months. We are in the desert and don't have standing water but had mosquitoes this summer because of the monsoons. I could not even go outside without getting bit. Only my one roo has scabs no one else shows anything yet but his comb is covered with them. I will take a photo

Dry Fowl Pox are not normally a major health issue. Just leave the pox alone, unless they appear infected, and let them run their course. They usually get over it within a week to 10 days from the onset. Once they've recovered, they have lifetime immunity. They won't get them again.

Back
Top Bottom