Fox Question....

I'm sorry you lost more of your birds. Fox, like many predators, are very, very opportunistic and now a "good" thing when they find it. They will make return trips until you are cleaned out or they are detered.

I can understand protecting something(even if it is not native), but I don't understand not being able to defend your own animals. I haven't looked it up myself, but I talked to a local farmer about it and as he put it "a fox and his family will clean you out in the blink of an eye. You're allowed to shoot any animal(other than hawks) getting into your livestock. We had a big spat about dogs on our farm not too long ago, went to court and everything.. We won and were told we were permitted to shoot any dogs in the pasture.." Yeah, I know we are not talking about the dogs, but I was talking to him about the fox.

Maybe if you called Animal Control and explained the situation and asked your options. If not them, perhaps someone else.

Sorry you lost more birds. Good luck with the pens today.

-Kim

We are in the process of setting up our run. The plan is to use electric fence around the perimeter, high and low; will that keep a fox out? We'll probable do some netting over the top too but that's for the hawks.

Quote:
That should work fine. Put the low strand fairly close to the ground and held out away from the pen to deter digging.

-Kim

Cownanacy-- I feel for you. My Husband works away from home too. Sometimes it gets frustrating. I'm sorry he came back. The fox I ran into yesterday afternnon did not come back last night. I don't think he can get into my coop but I KNOW he can get into my outside run. Since he showed up yesterday in the middle of the afternoon while my chicks were outside,,,,, I have a feeling he'll be back today. I didn't think I would have to babysit so much during the daylight hours. Very discouraging. We are going to put an electric wire around the outside of the pen. Of course, Hubby was asked to work all weekend so I'm going to have to figure this one out by myself. Wonder how many times I'll actually shock myself
lol.png

I forgot to tell you....... I don't know if it helped or not, but I put my portable handheld scanner out in my coop last night and turned the volume low so the predators could hear the human voices. I thought at this point anything is worth a shot:/

I'll try. When I had a coon problem, they referred me to a commercial pest removal service and its was $1800 for the first three traps.

My husband is good at peeing.

yuckyuck.gif
Mine is too. I asked him to please go down to the barn and pee every time he needs to from now til further notice, to try and discourage the foxes. He's delighted.

Looking for a milk jug to use so he doesn't have to run back and forth. :
sickbyc.gif

I forgot to tell you....... I don't know if it helped or not, but I put my portable handheld scanner out in my coop last night and turned the volume low so the predators could hear the human voices. I thought at this point anything is worth a shot:/
That's a good idea! I think even the talk radio gets too much like white noise to the predators, especially if they put a ballgame on, or Rush Limbaugh..
hmm.png
I want to try the scanner, too.

I lost a full grown Pekin duck last night. Apparently the duck fell out the door of the house, it was closed tight but..;anyway, the bird was carried off in the night, can a fox carry off a 5 pound Pekin Duck? It didnt bother to go in after the others, so I dont see this as a raccon. Fox? Bobcat? What do the folks here think. My German Shepherd is a fox/coon killer but bobcat might be the other way around?

Back
Top Bottom