Fresh fertile eggs look odd :/

JoanieShrubs

Chirping
Aug 18, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
It’s my first breeding season here in Australia and I’ve been hatching eggs from other breeders, shipped and local. I recently borrowed a Sicilian Buttercup cockerel to put with my three pullets and the breeding pen has been going for a few weeks.

The first batch of 12 fertile eggs, well I nearly discarded them all after candling on Day 4 because they looked infertile. Clear with a small air cell, no visible veins or even shadows except the orange yoke. However I turned one on its side and what looked like an embryonic sac floated up to the shell? Unattached, no blood ring, a tiny embryo in the centre of the circle with veins out to the edges of the sac. I scoured internet candling photos and can’t see any other pics like it. :/

It’s day 9 and the embryos are still growing, they look small, there are seven of them in total. The next batch is doing the same behaviour on Day 4. I’d discard them if I didn’t know to look for a floating clear-ish sac.

Opinions and expertise welcome. Are they doomed, or do my birds have an egg production issue (they’re siblings from different hatches), or is this just unfamiliar because I’ve never seen freshly laid eggs develop?

It’s my first breeding season here in Australia and I’ve been hatching eggs from other breeders, shipped and local. I recently borrowed a Sicilian Buttercup cockerel to put with my three pullets and the breeding pen has been going for a few weeks.

The first batch of 12 fertile eggs, well I nearly discarded them all after candling on Day 4 because they looked infertile. Clear with a small air cell, no visible veins or even shadows except the orange yoke. However I turned one on its side and what looked like an embryonic sac floated up to the shell? Unattached, no blood ring, a tiny embryo in the centre of the circle with veins out to the edges of the sac. I scoured internet candling photos and can’t see any other pics like it. :/

It’s day 9 and the embryos are still growing, they look small, there are seven of them in total. The next batch is doing the same behaviour on Day 4. I’d discard them if I didn’t know to look for a floating clear-ish sac.

Opinions and expertise welcome. Are they doomed, or do my birds have an egg production issue (they’re siblings from different hatches), or is this just unfamiliar because I’ve never seen freshly laid eggs develop?
It’s all a learning experience. Took me about 6 months or so to really understand what I’m looking at and looking for!

Back
Top Bottom