Friendly Rooster?

Screenshot_20180901-095321.jpg

There's Nice ones out there

Do be aware. You might have gotten a great rooster the first time, and if so - go buy a lottery ticket! haha

Couple of things to remember:
  • Today's behavior is not indicative of tomorrows behavior with cockerels
  • There are MANY posts on here where the darling became the nightmare describing a bird just like yours.
  • DO have a plan B - set up and ready to go and at hand.
  • Be very aware - ESPECIALLY if you have children under the age of 6
Mrs K

So I've tried Googling friendly roosters but can't come up with anything... We purchased 4 pullets (or so we thought) last spring. One of them actually turned out to be a cockerel. We got them when they were pretty young. Long story short... I hand fed them treats and always interacted with them when they were younger (still do). Any way, fast forward to now, our rooster is the friendliest! He has never tried to peck at us or attack us and let's us pick him up and pet him. He also falls asleep in my arms when I hold him. Has anyone else had this experience with a rooster and how do I keep up the momentum? Also, has anyone ever heard of eye pinning in birds?
I have a friendly rooster. Last spring I received 19 chicks and 4 were Barred Plymouth Rock boys. All 4 were very friendly from the beginning. They would fly onto the edge of their box whenever I came to take care of them. Then they would fly onto my arm whenever they could. Once they reached "adulthood", their behavior changed. Originally all 4 were very friendly. Now one is moderately friendly. I can easily pick him up and pet him and he comes towards me whenever he sees me.
Second is almost as friendly. I have to follow him a bit to catch him to pick him up. He will start walking away when he sees that I want to pick him up, but does not run and does not object when I do pick him up.
3rd is now running away from me. I don't think I can catch him.
4th has actually tried to fight me multiple times. Faced me straight on, feathers fluffed and full on rooster attack.
So four were friendly and now have 4 different personalities that span the spectrum.

I have a friendly rooster. Last spring I received 19 chicks and 4 were Barred Plymouth Rock boys. All 4 were very friendly from the beginning. They would fly onto the edge of their box whenever I came to take care of them. Then they would fly onto my arm whenever they could. Once they reached "adulthood", their behavior changed. Originally all 4 were very friendly. Now one is moderately friendly. I can easily pick him up and pet him and he comes towards me whenever he sees me.
Second is almost as friendly. I have to follow him a bit to catch him to pick him up. He will start walking away when he sees that I want to pick him up, but does not run and does not object when I do pick him up.
3rd is now running away from me. I don't think I can catch him.
4th has actually tried to fight me multiple times. Faced me straight on, feathers fluffed and full on rooster attack.
So four were friendly and now have 4 different personalities that span the spectrum.
You need to get rid of that mean one, a spurs or beak injury is like a monkey bite.

So I've tried Googling friendly roosters but can't come up with anything... We purchased 4 pullets (or so we thought) last spring. One of them actually turned out to be a cockerel. We got them when they were pretty young. Long story short... I hand fed them treats and always interacted with them when they were younger (still do). Any way, fast forward to now, our rooster is the friendliest! He has never tried to peck at us or attack us and let's us pick him up and pet him. He also falls asleep in my arms when I hold him. Has anyone else had this experience with a rooster and how do I keep up the momentum? Also, has anyone ever heard of eye pinning in birds?
There are lots of friendly roosters. There are lots that aren't friendly but do the job they evolved to do. There are a few that are difficult.
If one has enough space then it really doesn't matter whether they are friendly or not. Provided they do their job, that's all one should ask for.

We have an OEGB rooster that we nursed back to health. After he about froze to death. When he was not allowed in the coop by another rooster. On a below zero day. He became people friendly afterwards. He will come up to us, acting like he wants attention. Sometimes he will allow us to pet him. Even sitting down and falling asleep. As he gets his comb massaged. Other times he flares his neck hackles and tries to peck us. None of us act fearful and stand our ground when he does. So he settles right back down and goes about his business. Then we go on about ours. In my opinion a lot of rooster aggression is generated by the keepers behavior. No matter what breed is chosen.

All my roosters have been friendly, or they avoid me. I have not been attacked by any.
My roosters currently are all under 4 months.
I have been complemented on roosters I rehomed also, they always say I have friendly ones. I do go out of my way to find homes for nice ones.

Back
Top Bottom