From 1/4 acre backyard to chicken tractor...will they revolt?

drink88

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2023
Southeast Texas
Ok, so I have 32 egg layers (White Leghorns), two of them being Roosters. I have about 1/4 acre backyard where they have free reign, and a coop that is 16x8 that houses them. I need to make a change, as my entire backyard is just dirt and shit right now, they've eaten all the grass, roots, bugs, etc...and shit all over my back porch, yard, shed, etc. I have special shoes just to go out and tend to them.

My thought is I need to put them in chicken tractors...two different chicken tractors to house 16 each (Rooster in each to rule over his ladies). They will be 16x10 with a small coop that will have rooster bars and nesting boxes just like they have now. The issue is, that's 160sqft of room for them to roam around and eat the grass, bugs, etc...plus food that I give them. I have a 2 acre plot across the street, but also use if for part of my business, so only have about 1 acre or less to move them around on. Oh, the idea is to move them everyday to a new spot...so just hook them up, move them 16 feet, and be done. So they may not have as much room obviously, but they will have new space everyday that's not dirty, lacking green, and with shit everywhere.

Is this advisable? I mean, not to answer my own questions, but the conditions they are in now has gradually gotten worse as they've eaten everything and shit on everything, not to mention my backyard is a no-go zone for the most part.

I know they will not like being confined, as right now they run around, they fly up on top of their coop and my shed, and have so much room for activities. I have a 10ft mesh fence around the back part of my yard, so they are confined per say.

Thoughts?

Moving them might take care of poop accumulation issues.
But confinement will probably likely create some problems with fighting.

Back
Top Bottom