Frost bite? Toenail Injury? Please help with my chicken foot issue

FergusBeley

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2023
Hello all,
I noticed one of my Buff's toenails looked like it had gotten torn off (or something like that) because it was missing, and the toe was obviously swollen. I did a bunch of research and most of what I found was related to Bumblefoot. I read through the post on here that was actually about a very swollen, infected chicken toe (not Bumblefoot) and the brave lady cut the toe open to dig out the infection. I was prepared to do that. I just soaked her feet in epsom and Betadine and when I was examining her foot, I saw that another toe tip and nail is black and shriveled. It is entirely possible that due to my eyes and that darkness of the ground in the run I did not see frostbitten toes before... but the below zero weather was back at the beginning of January. We also had a space heater running in their coop for those days and they are able to cover their feet when they roost for the night. Is this injury from frostbite or something else? I'd be very grateful for any insight and also advise on how to treat it.

Attachments

• 0302241242b.jpg
    0302241242b.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 0302241242b~2.jpg
    0302241242b~2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 0302241242b~3.jpg
    0302241242b~3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 8
To me it looks as if the tips of her toes were frozen. Necrotic area will fall off, but she will no longer have toenails on those toes.

To me it looks as if the tips of her toes were frozen. Necrotic area will fall off, but she will no longer have toenails on those toes.
I agree. But her toe is swollen so it appears she has an infection? I have no experience with this and we don't have a chicken vet. Is this a normal part of the process and I should leave it alone or should I be trying to get the infection(?) out?

Back
Top Bottom