frostbite overnight on Welsummer rooster

Also I took a closer up of his comb and waddle and it is lighter than this morning, looks better color.... Could also be because the temperature is a lot warmer inside....not sure if he has mild frostbite but even if yes that is not the main issue (it seems like they usually are normal acting with mild frostbite and he clearly isn't)
I would try to get him drinking water with electrolytes and vitamins. The urates in his poop could be a sign that he is dehydrated. If it is frostbite, then he may be in pain. Offer fluids up to his beak, and wet chicken feed and scrambled egg might be tempting. Canned tuna and cat food are also good.
Thank you! I just went to the other chickens since the end of the day and touched their crops and to know what it feels like after they ate.....so I could compare. And his is not as big definitely but on the other hand it doesn't feel flat/empty and he hardly ate today..... so maybe impacted crop??? (I've never had experience with this, trying to figure it out) so then What to do for that?

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_143317200.jpg
    IMG_20221217_143317200.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 6
Offered to drink and put beak down and orange yellow liquid came out of his mouth......is that crop related I guess?? Sour crop or impacted crop?

He does have some mild frostbite. That may be painful. Recheck his crop in the morning to see if it has emptied. Vomiting orange liquid may be a sign of sour crop. Were you pressing on his crop at the time? Was it smelly or sour? Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
ok so I determined there are crop issues going on.....i looked online and it said to give 1 ML vegetable oil and after 10 min massage. Well i couldn't give all that into him but a good amount, massaged it. I tried a massage later again. I was almost positive it was crop issues so I youtubed how to empty a crop....and I did that! It was terrible smelling, so that seems like sour crop. The bad news is he is super weak and lethargic...he was way better around noon today, he had drank some sugar water, shown some interest in food (very limited but some interest).....not he is doing none of the above. In the video it seemed like after the emptying of the crop the chicken usually feels better. He gives no indication of being better, he is just sleeping (I imagine it was somewhat an ordeal for him and took some energy). There was definitely gurgling and weird sounds when doing it and quite a bit came out. But I'm afraid that when I check in on him he will be gone! After emptying the crop he drank a little bit of sugar water so I'm hoping that is going to help. But I was reading that people have resolved the crop issue and a week later their rooster/hen died as they just got too weak and never fully recovered. I'm so far not seeing any positive energy even after the initial emptying so I'm trying to be hopeful but am really nervous each time I peek at him to see if he is still breathing!

How is he doing?

It does sound like he's got sour crop, possibly a blockage.
I'd be careful vomiting him since chickens don't have a gag reflex and can easily aspirate.
Instead of liquid oil, I've found that giving hardened coconut oil pieces seem to be easier to give, my birds will usually eat it and I don't risk aspiration of oil being syringed either.

Work on hydration. The sugar water or electrolytes are fine, especially if he's interested in the taste.
I would get some Miconazole or Clotrimazole and start giving him that according to the instructions in the article.
I would also consider deworming and treating for Coccidiosis as well. Safeguard liquid goat dewormer at 0.23ml per pound of weight given once a day for 5 days in a row.
Corid liquid direct oral drench at 0.1 ml per pound of weight once daily for 3 days. The Corid drench is in addition to him drinking mixed liquid Corid at 2tsp per gallon of water.

If vet care is an option, then collecting some poop samples from him and having a fecal float is best.

Back
Top Bottom