Game bird layer feed.

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
My tsc has started carrying Purina Game Bird Layer, the calcium is lower and the protein is higher then their standard layena pellets, I might consider getting this for the girls when they start to lay. What do you think of the read out? Would they be appropriate for laying hens?
20220718_141746.jpg
20220718_142010.jpg

I would use the Layena. It looks like it has more nutrients that will help than the game bird.

Do your birds free range at all?

And where are you located? Are there any local feed stores or co-ops in your area?

My tsc has started carrying Purina Game Bird Layer, the calcium is lower and the protein is higher then their standard layena pellets, I might consider getting this for the girls when they start to lay. What do you think of the read out? Would they be appropriate for laying hens?View attachment 3191432View attachment 3191433
What breed are your hens?
Will they be kept permenantly in a coop and run?

What breed are your hens?
Will they be kept permenantly in a coop and run?
I have Sussex, Wyandotte, Barnevelder and Plymouth Rocks. They have a decent sized run, about 18'x 30' ish. But it's the labs here isn't great for foraging.
I typically feed a flock feed or chick feed with calcium supplement. They get to come out if I'm out but coyotes have been bad lately.

I have Sussex, Wyandotte, Barnevelder and Plymouth Rocks. They have a decent sized run, about 18'x 30' ish. But it's the labs here isn't great for foraging.
I typically feed a flock feed or chick feed with calcium supplement. They get to come out if I'm out but coyotes have been bad lately.
You've got pretty regular layers in there. Not super high production but capable of over 200 eggs a year.
What I think many would suggest is you feed the higher protein feed and supplement the calcium needs with calcium carbonate in a dish. More often than not I would agree with this.

But, these are pullets and sometimes they don't start up the calcium storage system (it's stored in a particular type of bone in their legs), when they start the egg laying.

I would use the lower protein feed where the calcium content is higher. This should ensure the pullets get enough calcium to shell those first few eggs.
It happens less these days but thousands of battery hens were crippled with osteoperosis because they didn't get enough calcium and didn't get it at the right time. Later switching to a low calcium higher protein feed shouldn't be a problem.
Extra protein say as a treat is easy to offer.

EDIT.
You could always look for a feed with 18% protein and 4% to 5% calcium.

You've got pretty regular layers in there. Not super high production but capable of over 200 eggs a year.
What I think many would suggest is you feed the higher protein feed and supplement the calcium needs with calcium carbonate in a dish. More often than not I would agree with this.

But, these are pullets and sometimes they don't start up the calcium storage system (it's stored in a particular type of bone in their legs), when they start the egg laying.

I would use the lower protein feed where the calcium content is higher. This should ensure the pullets get enough calcium to shell those first few eggs.
It happens less these days but thousands of battery hens were crippled with osteoperosis because they didn't get enough calcium and didn't get it at the right time. Later switching to a low calcium higher protein feed shouldn't be a problem.
Extra protein say as a treat is easy to offer.

EDIT.
You could always look for a feed with 18% protein and 4% to 5% calcium.
That was very informative, thank you. How long do you suggest feeding the higher calcium layer feed before switching to a different feed, if I want/have to?

Of the two, use the game bird, free choice oyster shell.

Higher levels of methionine and lysine will improve connective tissues, muscle development, feed efficiency and immune system (due largely to morphological improvements in the intestines), while the higher phosphorus levels will ensure they can make the best use of the calcium for good bone development - while buffering somewhat concerns re: calcium toxicity - particularly in birds not yet at point of lay, but in any event, the game bird's lower total calcium levels as less likely to set your birds on that path than the layena.

Why not just offer ALl Flock and free choice oyster?

Back
Top Bottom