Gaping wound on chickens head

MamaPoult

🎶As soon as I get out here on the outskirts🎶
Premium Feather Member
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
I've dealt with a lot of of wounds on my chickens but today my beloved Rock got a really big wound on her head😥. In the pic what your looking at is located right behind her comb and the wound is about maybe a half of an inch long. I isolated her and disinfected the wound would you all do anything different? Is it down beneath the flesh and it looks kinda like snot😖. Is she gonna be ok you think? Sorry the pic isn't great, I was in a huge rush to get her dealt with. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• 20240222_135112.jpg
    20240222_135112.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 42
It is hard to see what it is, but I personally would try rinse it or clean it with some saline solution, then pat it dry with sterile gauze and smear Neosporin on it. If it's not too deep, I wouldn't bother covering it but I would keep her separated from the rest until it heals up.

If you have none, you can make it easy:

2 Teaspoons of table salt
(4 cups) of warm tap water and mix until clear. Keep in a sealed container.

I personally would try rinse it or clean it with some saline solution, then pat it dry with sterile gauze and smear Neosporin on it. If it's not too deep, I wouldn't bother covering it but I would keep her separated from the rest until it heals up.
Ok thank you for your input! Thanks for helping me out😁

Could you post a picture a little farther away so we can see the whole head? How is she doing? Is she eating and drinking? Do you know if she was attacked by the whole flock or a single chicken or rooster? Is there any overcrowding?

Could you post a picture a little farther away so we can see the whole head? How is she doing? Is she eating and drinking? Do you know if she was attacked by the whole flock or a single chicken or rooster? Is there any overcrowding?
She will not let me get another pic of her. She is doing great though! I took the advice above and she is back to her old self eating drinking and being a pest😁. Her wound is already healing! There's no over crowding and I narrowed the problem down to my roo who has been having beak issues and mated her and sliced his overgrown beak into her head. Which was funny because I was going to kill him yesterday due to other issues as well. I'm so glad Rock is doing better. Thank you!

Update:

Here is Rock today I keep putting neo on it and am monitoring her all day. Do you think it's any better? Is it healing like it should?

Attachments

• 20240224_085711.jpg
    20240224_085711.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom