Geese dumped close to our property

Poor things!! Thank you for trying to take them in. Echoing that as long as the dog doesn't try and get in their face actively most geese will simply avoid them. This looks like two ganders, as well, which can sometimes be a benefit as without any females to fight over they're often more mellow in the springtime. Balance spending quality time with them/bringing treats/etc without pushing past their comfort zone and they'll soon trust you with their lives.

View attachment 3812193View attachment 3812197
These two geese were dumped last night just across from our property. The little bridge they are on leads to our property and fortunately they found the water rather than go the other direction towards the street. I have taken them some food to them and I feel so sorry for them. I know nothing about geese and wonder if it would be a good idea to try to lead them up to our property and keep them. I read a post that mentioned geese protecting chicken. We do have chickens but they are already pretty secure. Any advice?
This is the kind of situation I support people getting geese for as opposed to out right buying geese specifically for this purpose alone as part of the same flock.

It might be an issue with the dog if one is a gander especially during mating season. You may have to spend a lot of time getting them exposure to your dog, keeping them separate but near enough to show them he's not a threat, and even that may not do it if the dog ends up in their space.

I wouldn't leave the dog unsupervised with the geese. Every January to June geese are laying eggs and the females can be protective of the eggs and nest.

View attachment 3812193View attachment 3812197
These two geese were dumped last night just across from our property. The little bridge they are on leads to our property and fortunately they found the water rather than go the other direction towards the street. I have taken them some food to them and I feel so sorry for them. I know nothing about geese and wonder if it would be a good idea to try to lead them up to our property and keep them. I read a post that mentioned geese protecting chicken. We do have chickens but they are already pretty secure. Any advice?
I had geese ... once. The adults were viciously hateful toward everything else on the farm, including the kids and me. One pecked a barn cat so hard in the head it bit its own tongue almost off. I, uh, rehomed the two adults to the freezer and kept the two babies. They were cool and fun and currently are very old and living their best life - somewhere else. Big farm with a pond, not mine. I discovered geese meat is tough like truck tire jerky. Be prepared for a toileting tornado. You've heard that old saying "like **** through a goose"? Yes, indeed. Coop cleaning NEVER ends. And it's bad. They eat grass 24/7. Rank liquid green exudate results. Pretty sure they're actually bovine with feathers. They eat the grass all the way past the roots and leave a poop slimed desert in their wake. Ours free-ranged a while with a predator proof box for nights in order to fix that problem. Result? Pooped porches, trucks, driveways, gardens and outdoor plants stripped down to mud. They stand outside your windows and shriek at you constantly.
Geese are, imho, not worth the effort. I may have had just a bad experience. But i did not enjoy them.

I have had 2 goose and a gander I lost my gander at almost 15 years in 2022 he was a handful very protective of his mate which is of course part of who they are. They did bully my dogs at the time we had 3 mini dachshunds and a medium-sized mixed breed. When we let everyone be together with us always there the geese would bully even the gander bit my med size on her butt. He never did it again though she grabbed him around the neck never bit down but freaked me and the gander out for sure. I had a long bamboo pole that I used to train the geese to stay away from the dogs they learned pretty quick and we would only have to place the pole between them every once in a while. I believe the main thing in training is being consistent they love routine and learn when we are consistent in our training. I sure do miss that ornery gander.

I have had 2 goose and a gander I lost my gander at almost 15 years in 2022 he was a handful very protective of his mate which is of course part of who they are. They did bully my dogs at the time we had 3 mini dachshunds and a medium-sized mixed breed. When we let everyone be together with us always there the geese would bully even the gander bit my med size on her butt. He never did it again though she grabbed him around the neck never bit down but freaked me and the gander out for sure. I had a long bamboo pole that I used to train the geese to stay away from the dogs they learned pretty quick and we would only have to place the pole between them every once in a while. I believe the main thing in training is being consistent they love routine and learn when we are consistent in our training. I sure do miss that ornery gander.
Those bamboo poles are great, especially for people who are afraid to handle geese. All you need to do is hold it.

Back
Top Bottom