Geese suddenly acting anti-social

Usually with an internally broken egg it’s best to put them on a round of antibiotics immediately and keep them quiet and relaxed, warm baths can also help.
I can’t really tell what’s in the picture but eggs broken internally result in actual egg yolk and pieces of shell or membrane coming out the back end. Yellow like in that picture can be a result of eating something toxic, certain infections, or it‘s from coccidia. yellow and foamy or bubbly droppings are fairly commonly caused by coccidia, as it worsens you’ll begin seeing blood or pinkish or orange mucousy droppings.
I put her on corid, is 2 tsp per gallon ok? Also i’m not seeing any egg shell or membrane or any signs of a broken egg, she also doesn’t seem in discomfort at all for it to be something like that. How long should i continue corid for?

Also here’s what the poop looks like today, one was really yellow, this was the 2nd. A little foamy on the bottom right. Also i don’t know much about geese or a poop expert but the actual liquidy part smells acidy or chemically, is this normal or could it be a sign she ingested something else? The actual brown part smells like crap though i assure you.

Attachments

• IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    678.5 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 7
I put her on corid, is 2 tsp per gallon ok? Also i’m not seeing any egg shell or membrane or any signs of a broken egg, she also doesn’t seem in discomfort at all for it to be something like that. How long should i continue corid for?

Also here’s what the poop looks like today, one was really yellow, this was the 2nd. A little foamy on the bottom right. Also i don’t know much about geese or a poop expert but the actual liquidy part smells acidy or chemically, is this normal or could it be a sign she ingested something else? The actual brown part smells like crap though i assure you.
Pictures can sometimes not portray color correctly so this may be wrong but that looks fairly dark, almost like there’s blood in it from the upper digestive tract, thats often a sign thats of upper gi coccidia.
I would follow the directions on the bottle/packet, corid is administered for 5 days and should be her only access to water.

She's very quiet today, will barely even honk at me which she usually does even yesterday, not very active just kinda standing around worst she's been yet. Also puked some liquid but it was outside and couldn't see the color. She has been having some firmer poops, but also sometimes just completely white mucous liquid

Could you feel her abdomen again? Near the base of the tail you’ll feel two bulbs, that’s the rear of her hip bones. Further down almost to her legs you’ll feel the bottom of her pelvis. In between the pelvis and the bulbs it should be squishy, if you feel a harder round mass in there it could be an egg but in this case it‘s more likely that it could be an inflamed colon. Normally it will be soft and squishy, but if it feels like a water balloon or an egg it’s inflamed. It might be tender so she might not like you feeling around back there.

Also is it possible to get her seen by a vet for a fecal float and gram stain? If not that’s common, there aren’t a lot of avian vets that will see or are experienced with geese.

With my own birds I’ve seen what you’ve described a few times and it’s usually something to do with a severe intestinal issue. A serious infection or parasite has inflamed the intestine and slowed digestion down and causing regurgitation.

It would be preferable to know whats the causative bug but even testing doesn’t always make that clear, so the only thing to do is make an educated guess and broaden treatment.

It could still be a severe case of coccidia so keep her on the corid.
It may be that she caught a secondary infection because of the coccidia and has enteritis also, which is common among my own birds. She also could have Giardia. With mine it’s usually giardia + clostridium or coccidia + clostridium.

You’ll need Tylosin and metronidazole

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=fb58cf8a4&_ss=r

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/metronidasole-fish-capsules-200-mg?_pos=3&_sid=16cad7646&_ss=r

Also start giving her corid as a crop drench. It will give her a more direct dose in case she isn’t drinking enough.

Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

You can also make her an anti-inflammatory tea, it WONT treat the underlying problem but it can help to reduce inflammation in her intestines and help to alleviate some of the symptoms.

You‘ll need to syringe it down her throat because this won’t taste good, it will look like you’re brewing up some sort of a potion.

Pour boiling water over squeezed lemon juice peel plus the peel, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, rosemary, and mint. You can add squished blueberries also. If you live in an area with white fir or Douglas fir you can add the needles in also, they’re loaded with antioxidants and vitamin c. DONT use pine neeles, many pine species are poisonous.

once it’s steeped for awhile and cool enough that you can stick your finger in it you can add a spoonful of apple cider vinegar and kefir or some other source of probiotics.
The more concentrated it is the more powerful the effect. Dont worry if you’re missing ingredients, DO NOT use oils.

Could you feel her abdomen again? Near the base of the tail you’ll feel two bulbs, that’s the rear of her hip bones. Further down almost to her legs you’ll feel the bottom of her pelvis. In between the pelvis and the bulbs it should be squishy, if you feel a harder round mass in there it could be an egg but in this case it‘s more likely that it could be an inflamed colon. Normally it will be soft and squishy, but if it feels like a water balloon or an egg it’s inflamed. It might be tender so she might not like you feeling around back there.

Also is it possible to get her seen by a vet for a fecal float and gram stain? If not that’s common, there aren’t a lot of avian vets that will see or are experienced with geese.

With my own birds I’ve seen what you’ve described a few times and it’s usually something to do with a severe intestinal issue. A serious infection or parasite has inflamed the intestine and slowed digestion down and causing regurgitation.

It would be preferable to know whats the causative bug but even testing doesn’t always make that clear, so the only thing to do is make an educated guess and broaden treatment.

It could still be a severe case of coccidia so keep her on the corid.
It may be that she caught a secondary infection because of the coccidia and has enteritis also, which is common among my own birds. She also could have Giardia. With mine it’s usually giardia + clostridium or coccidia + clostridium.

You’ll need Tylosin and metronidazole

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=fb58cf8a4&_ss=r

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/metronidasole-fish-capsules-200-mg?_pos=3&_sid=16cad7646&_ss=r
Thanks a lot for your help! She did a complete 180 since that day. I thought she was a gonner i even had to syringe her some 30% game bird feed as she was very bad. But especially today she is doing much better, was honking lots today, better than ever, and also went out with her flock. The 5 day corid treatment is done today, but she still has some in her water. I also did do the direct dose as you mentioned, not sure if that was what gave her a boost but either way, shes a lot better. I also tried feeling her abdomen but really can't tell anything is off..

One weird thing i saw is she pooped a white slimy blob of what looked like possible pure calcium? I'm not sure, she has been eating the oyster shells i put for her if she needs it.

She's no longer pooping funny colors except white snotty liquid. But no more yellow, orange colors.. I hope that's an improvement?

Thanks a lot for your help! She did a complete 180 since that day. I thought she was a gonner i even had to syringe her some 30% game bird feed as she was very bad. But especially today she is doing much better, was honking lots today, better than ever, and also went out with her flock. The 5 day corid treatment is done today, but she still has some in her water. I also did do the direct dose as you mentioned, not sure if that was what gave her a boost but either way, shes a lot better. I also tried feeling her abdomen but really can't tell anything is off..

One weird thing i saw is she pooped a white slimy blob of what looked like possible pure calcium? I'm not sure, she has been eating the oyster shells i put for her if she needs it.

She's no longer pooping funny colors except white snotty liquid. But no more yellow, orange colors.. I hope that's an improvement?
Sounds like something worked! I’m glad to hear she’s feeling better!

Back
Top Bottom