Gender ID Help: "Australorp" - 6 weeks

teauxja

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2023
New here - go gentle...I did read the "suggestion" for good photos. :) (This is post 1 of 2 I'll seek any insight of pullet or roos - 2 different breeds) I am new to this and appreciate those with experience with this breed providing insight into whether these can be sexed at this point.

Purchased chicks from local feed store (Western Ranch, Sacramento, CA). Sold/Advertised as Australorps. Hatch date around 3/12/2023, so about 6 weeks.

First 4 photos are of "darker faced" one - Carries slightly different than the other - and has a more pronounced comb. Is a little more bold on personality.
Last 3 photos are of "lighter faced" one - This is the shyest of the flock I have so far.
My amateurish guess is the darker one is a roo, and lighter one is pullet.

Thanks for info. If the photos suck, I can try to take a few more - these guys are squirrley!

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1601.jpg
    IMG_1601.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 31
New here - go gentle...I did read the "suggestion" for good photos. :) (This is post 1 of 2 I'll seek any insight of pullet or roos - 2 different breeds) I am new to this and appreciate those with experience with this breed providing insight into whether these can be sexed at this point.

Purchased chicks from local feed store (Western Ranch, Sacramento, CA). Sold/Advertised as Australorps. Hatch date around 3/12/2023, so about 6 weeks.

First 4 photos are of "darker faced" one - Carries slightly different than the other - and has a more pronounced comb. Is a little more bold on personality.
Last 3 photos are of "lighter faced" one - This is the shyest of the flock I have so far.
My amateurish guess is the darker one is a roo, and lighter one is pullet.

Thanks for info. If the photos suck, I can try to take a few more - these guys are squirrley!
Look like pullets, but by 6 weeks if the one with more comb is really big and starting to red, then cockerel. check out our post/photos for our BA .

Could go either way, but I would lean towards cockerel with the first if it reddens over the next week. Mine looked similar to that until week 5 I think.

Apologies - here's the update! I apparently hit the jackpot - both are girls/hens/pullets ....I've loved watching the transformation!! Here they are in all their glory at 15 weeks :)

Attachments

• IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom