Gold laced wyandottes: roosters

britt_brat

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2019
Northwest Florida
Edit: thanks for the answers, I had a feeling it would be. That would be my luck. Buy only 2 to add to my 13 and 1 would be male.

So, would I be right in assuming that 2 roosters for 15 hens will end badly? Or should I wait for a first sign of aggression before getting rid of him? Because he is gorgeous and I have been thinking of hatching some of my own chicks and am interested to see what the crosses would look like

Hi all, been a while since I need to post a question.
I purchased 2 gold lace wyandotte pullets from a local feed & seed store back at the end of April.
So they are about 5-6 months old.
One is clearly a young hen. The other I'm questioning the gender.
I have done countless Google searches on "gold lace wyandotte roosters" and cannot find much about the differences between hens and roosters.

This chicken has longer tail feathers than the other, as well as bigger in build, larger & redder comb (what little comb this breed has anyways) and wattles, and more flowy feathers around the neck. The gold color is also darker, more on the lines of being reddish.

Can anyone point me in the direction of characteristics of this breeds roosters?
Or anyone with experience dealing with this breed can tell me what you've noticed about the roosters?
I'm waiting for the crowing, but should it have already started by this age? Thats why I'm questioning the gender.
Thanks in advance!!!
20201102_191936.jpg
20201102_192007.jpg
20201102_192047.jpg
20201102_192047.jpg
20201102_192107.jpg
20201102_192119.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, been a while since I need to post a question.

The wyandottes are about 5-6 months old.
One is clearly a young hen. The other I'm questioning the gender.
I have done countless Google searches on "gold lace wyandotte roosters" and cannot find much about the differences between hens and roosters.

This chicken has longer tail feathers than the other, as well as bigger in build, larger & redder comb (what little comb this breed has anyways) and wattles, and more flowy feathers around the neck. The gold color is also darker, more on the lines of being reddish.

Can anyone point me in the direction of characteristics of this breeds roosters?
Or anyone with experience dealing with this breed can tell me what you've noticed about the roosters?
I'm waiting for the crowing, but should it have already started by this age? Thats why I'm questioning the gender.
Thanks in advance!!!
Can you post pics? We can tell their genders.

DEFINITELY a cockerel!
Looks beautiful!

We got a GLW chick a while ago, and he's definitely a cockerel, even though he's only a month or two old.

Back
Top Bottom