Goodbye to Sunny.

my first peepers

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
South Western VT
Today we took our second EE cockerel to a new home with ChickaD. While I'm sure he will be treated well and have a wonderful life at his new home I was suprised at how sad I was to see him go!
Yesterday I watched him lay in the sun, chase bugs and dust bath with his three girls and tears came to my eyes. Sunny is such a sweet, gentle roo who survived surgery at 4 weeks old and let my two daughters carry him around. He is good to his chicken ladies and watched them faithfully.
It was never our plan to have roos but we ended up with 2
roll.png
so we got 2 more young pullets last month and the girls needed more space. Our neighbors also were not happy about the crowing. Despite knowing all along that he wouldn't always be with us I am missing Sunny already!
Thank you CickaD for giving him a good home!
smile.png

Who else has had to say a sad goodbye to a chicken?

Awww...I am so sad for you....I have 3 sweet roos too that need a new home...but they HAVE to go to a good "chicken-spoiled" home, ya know? I already know that I am going to be SO sad.....At least you found Sunny a good home....I'm still searching for the best "Mommies" I can find....

I know how it feels. I gave away my favorite roosters and hens to a family that built a coop and had no chicks. I am happy they went to a new home. My silkies I also miss alot. I still feel guilty and have been for about 4-5 months.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.
I have word that Sunny is already making friends with a couple of the girls at his new home. He is in his own pen but they have been hanging around and making cute noises at him and chasing off the girls that aren't as thrilled to see him!

hugs.gif
I just saw this........ i know how you feel. The sadness goes away quicker when you know he is happy, so i'm glad that you have that
smile.png

You would think it would get easier as the roos come and go but really it doesn't. I have had a "special bond" with all the roosters that have been here but one in particular was my all time favorite. Nelson was a golden laced wyandotte we had purchased from Mcmurray hatchery. Nelson at a very young age would jump out of the brooder and hang out on my shoulder. He was the first one to go outside and explore the yard. He would follow me around while i was gardening, give me kisses at night when i locked them up in the coop, and the first to greet me in the morning by jumping up on my shoulder and trying to bury his head in my hair. Most of my hens turned out to be bantam size and nelson was a standard. I tried buying 2 ameraucana hens for him so he would leave the bantam girls alone but it kind of blew up in my face so we decided he needed to be with girls his size and found him a new home. The night before he was going to his new home i spent most of the night in the garage holding and hugging him as i cried. Next morning i did the same for about 2 hours before he left with his new owner. I cried for hours after he left and immediately wanted him back but knew it couldn't happen. He went to live on a nice farm with bunches of big girls and him being the one and only roo. I still miss him terribly

Back
Top Bottom