Goose to guard the golden eggs.

Dokdream

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2023
I've read some of the other posts, but they don't quite address my question. My chickens are adults now, and laying eggs. I'm always concerned about predators -- possums and raccoons in particular. I was thinking of getting a "guard" goose gosling, raising her separately until she is big enough that the chick girls won't bother her, then letting her join the flock. Clearly, she would imprint on me, so I'm wondering what the relation would be with the chickens. Would she be "lonely" without another goose? (No ganders, please!) What do ya'all think of this? Additionally, we are in a somewhat suburban area, with neighbors in close proximity. Would the goose honking be enough of an annoyance that someone is more likely to call animal contol and cause trouble?

Geese do best in pairs at least, but I know there are people who use a lone goose to help guard a flock. Depending on the goose though you might only get super aggressive honking and hissing rather than fighting off racoons and possums... Geese are also pretty loud in general from my personal experience and will make a fuss at anything even vaguely unusual coming to the property, so check your local bylaws for noise standards.

Back
Top Bottom