Gracie to the Rescue!

StarChicken

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 14, 2010
Benton, Arkansas
When I have baby chicks, I keep them in a large plastic tote in the bathtub off my bedroom. At the moment, I have four baby chicks in there. They’re about three weeks old. I generally do their housekeeping every morning.

Their water jar was close to empty, so I made a gallon of water with electrolytes and stuff in it, filled the jar and set it on the kitchen counter. I did a few other things in the kitchen and forgot about the jar.

A bit ago, Gracie, my terrier/chihuahua mix, who loves babies came to me with her “I want something” whine. I asked her what she wanted, and she whined some more, so I got up to see what might be wrong. Immediately she ran for my bedroom door!

Scratch, scratch, scratch!

I let her into the bedroom, and she ran straight for her chicks (yep, they are her babies), jumped up on the edge of the bathtub and looked in at them. I immediately realized I’d forgotten their water and went to get it while Gracie worried. Once I gave them their water, they gathered around and drank. Gracie to the rescue . . .

I'm sure she heard their distress call for water and needed me to take care of her babies at once!

This same dog has raised two kittens, and this is her second flock of baby chicks! I hold the chicks down to her level for her to check them out. She loves anything baby!

Back
Top Bottom