Green Queens- who has experience

Northernskies

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
I have 2 green queens that are 5 weeks. I’ll be keeping one and rehoming the other with some other chickies. (Chicken math..)
Im trying to choose between the 2 for whose going to lay green.
Neither has Ameraucana/auraucauna face fur.

One is the all black 5 furry toes version (the black is not glossy and looks dusty a lil bit at all times). ….and the other looks like standard easter egger carmel neck and head and grey brown body/wings…except she has a really interesting white flecking on each feather tip. I call her star and its like stars in the sky. (Pretzel salt size.)
Has anyone had these types and what were your eggs like? Green or brown?

Whats the green egg/brown egg ratio? Is it a nice green. Ive already got a khaki egg layer.

If you want to know for sure, you could get a genetic test. It recently became available:
https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/product/blue-egg-gene-with-feathers-sample/

You would only really need to test one (probably the one you like better.)
If the tested one has the blue egg gene, keep her and rehome the other.
If the tested one does not have the blue egg gene, rehome her, and hope for the best with the other.

A hen can lay blue eggs if she has one copy of the blue egg gene, or if she has two copies of the blue egg gene.

Thanks. That testing is interesting. I know that these girls carry a blue gene, and a brown gene… just curious if certain breed combos of blue+brown lead to more better odds of green.

Thanks. That testing is interesting. I know that these girls carry a blue gene, and a brown gene… just curious if certain breed combos of blue+brown lead to more better odds of green.

There may be different shades of green, but as long as they have a blue gene and some amount of brown, you are certain to get green.

From what I read, Green Queens are NOT certain to carry a blue gene:
"a small percentage will lay another color, including tinted, brown or even pinkish."
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/Day-Old-Chicks-Green-Queen-Easter-Egger-p2665.aspx

So I thought you wanted to make sure the one you keep is not one of those brown-layers.

My green queen is from My Pet Chicken she is black just like the one pictured on their websight. She has puffy cheeks, bare legs and feet. But I have many hens that lay green eggs from khaki colored to a blue green. I am sure they are all offspring from green eggers and my Easter Eggers. They are of many different colored feather combinations. My favorites are my cuckoo that lay green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom