Grit and other supplements

MamaGantz3002

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2023
So in about 5 weeks and 5 days this first time mommy will be getting chicks. I have a few random questions, that will help this first time mommy.
1. I know how much grit to put in the food for when their babies, but how often do you put grit in their food?
2. As they get older how much grit and should it be placed in their food or like the crushed oyster shell?
3. Electrolytes and probiotic supplements in the water for chicks, how long should they be given?
4. How long to keep them on chicks feed, before moving to layer feed?
5. What recommendations for a feeder and a waterer?
6. Would you recommend leaving them in the coop for 24Hrs the first time they are in the coop?
Thank you all for the answers and advice.

You do not put grit in their food, you put in a separate dish "free feed" at all stages of life. Oyster Shells also not added to food, "free feed" in a separate dish.
Electrolytes & Probiotic supplement for chicks, I don't give mine but then I ferment feed.
Stage feeding, they're on Chick Starter/Grower (medication or non, your choice) until 18wks before switch to layer but I don't do that anymore either. I feed Flock Raiser from the start to everyone. Layer has extra calcium for the layers which is more than what's good for chicks & adult males/Roo.
Research the different feeders & waterers to see which works for you.
I'd coop them longer IF you're planning on free ranging. They need to know where "home" is and to return.

1. Some chick feed has grit in it. When they move on to a different feed, put out a small dish of chick grit. That's grit that is smaller sized for chicks as they grow. You don't want to put it in their feed; they'll get some as they need it.
2. Oyster shell is not interchangeable with grit. It's a source of calcium for pullets/hens who are laying. Again, a dish of it by itself, not mixed with their feed. They know when they need some.
3. Just the first few days. Someone else will probably give more complete info.
4. They can transition off chick feed by 8-10 weeks. I do not feed layer, I feed an all flock type of feed, as it has more protein. The layer/all flock feed choice has many threads discussing it, so you have plenty of time to check it out.
6. I shut my chicks in the coop for 4 days. After that they knew it was home.

Back
Top Bottom