Guinea Feathers Look Pecked Out

guinea19

Hatching
Aug 5, 2023
I have some guinea fowl locked up. I can't turn them out because my dog kills them. I have one adult guinea and its a male and eight juvenile guineas. The adult male guinea is the boss. I've noticed the past couple of days, my adult guinea is missing feathers in one spot on his back. I was puzzled at first, but didn't think nothing of it. Today, the spot was bigger and I am wondering if the juvenile guineas is pecking his feathers out. I could not get close enough to tell if there was blood/dried blood where the feathers are missing. This is the best picture that I could get. My phone stressed them out. I've had guineas all my life, but never cooped up. Do you think my other guineas or pecking out his feathers? If so, I'm surprised because he is the boss of them all. If so, what can I do to make them stop????
Guniea feather.jpeg

Can you tether the dog or build a run for your guinea? How big is guinea coop ?
No, I have not place to tie her up. The coop is not big, my husband hasn't had a chance to extend it for them. My mom told me last night it could be mites and the other guineas may be picking at the mites on big guinea. I'm going to get some powders today and try that.

No, I have not place to tie her up. The coop is not big, my husband hasn't had a chance to extend it for them. My mom told me last night it could be mites and the other guineas may be picking at the mites on big guinea. I'm going to get some powders today and try that.
Mites are typically too small for birds to see and it's difficult for birds to reach their own backs.
Theu may need more room or a change in diet.

That does not look bad at all.

One normal trait that is commonly displayed by guineas is attacks from behind with feather pulling and breaking.

Most guineas will have horrible looking feathers on their backs by the end of summer. Even dominant males will have feather damage on their backs.

Another reason for feather pulling can be a diet too low in protein. In that case they are eating the feathers.

If you are feeding your guineas chicken food there is not enough protein - and, if they are not free roaming - which is what they need to do, they are not eating protein in the form of ticks and bugs. You will benefit from adding a few black soldier fly larvae or meal worms into their food, which can be purchased in bulk freeze dried or you can farm your own. The guineas still need to free range - it's what they do

Back
Top Bottom