Guinea Fowl Feeder Help Needed

Steve Ducks

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2021
Hi, I'm using the self filling feeder in the photo for my guinea fowl and they splash out as much feed as they eat - maybe more. Feeder works great with my chickens, though they might be eating spillage. The guinea fowl don't eat any spillage. Tried putting spillage back in the feeder and they got sick so probably picked up poop too. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• hola hola.jpg
    hola hola.jpg
    991 KB · Views: 46
Have you tried raising it to the height of their backs? (In other words, the tray part is almost out of reach.) That has helped a lot with spillage with my bantams. By having the feeder up so high, it makes it harder to scratch out the feed with their beaks (or feet).

Thanks, I'll see how they do with it on heavy pot turned upside down. If they knock it over, I may build a wooden stand and bolt it down.

Thanks, I'll see how they do with it on heavy pot turned upside down. If they knock it over, I may build a wooden stand and bolt it down.
Can you hang the feeder? Or buy one that can hang? By hanging it, it'll prevent them from perching on it.

Guineas are experts at wasting feed no matter what you use! :confused: I've tried the self-filling
container like you have. I've also tried hanging feeders and that makes it worse. Right now I have one of the large dog bowls with a heavy rock in it. It is set up on bricks at their chest heights.
And I only put enough food in it that they have to reach down inside the bowl to get feed.
Somehow they still manage to waste some feed but not near as much as they used to. :old

Hi, I'm using the self filling feeder in the photo for my guinea fowl and they splash out as much feed as they eat - maybe more. Feeder works great with my chickens, though they might be eating spillage. The guinea fowl don't eat any spillage. Tried putting spillage back in the feeder and they got sick so probably picked up poop too. Any ideas greatly appreciated!
I only feed my guinea straight on the ground. They will not eat out of a feeder. They are 5 months old.

Back
Top Bottom