Guinea hog and chickens in same area?

EmilyAlamano

Chirping
May 31, 2020
Hi all, we have a flock of 15 hens plus a rooster that have about a 1/4 acre run. We are getting two Guinea hogs (not Guinea pigs) and am wondering if anyone has this breed coexisting in same area as their chickens and how it’s going. I know some pigs will eat a live chicken and I want to avoid this (obviously!)

Hi all, we have a flock of 15 hens plus a rooster that have about a 1/4 acre run. We are getting two Guinea hogs (not Guinea pigs) and am wondering if anyone has this breed coexisting in same area as their chickens and how it’s going. I know some pigs will eat a live chicken and I want to avoid this (obviously!)
I have seen pigs & chickens in a large pen together, and the pigs were napping at the time rather than chasing the chickens, but I didn't have a chance to ask whether they ever have problems.

I have no personal experience with pigs, but based on what some other animals do, I would expect the pigs to eat the chicken FOOD first, before going after the chickens themselves.

I would definitely make sure the chickens have some space away from the pigs. This could include perches they can fly up & sit on, but should also include food, water, nestboxes, and some space to just hang out at ground level away from the pigs.

I have kept my pigs in close proximity to my chickens for years and haven't had any problems. I don't have guinea hogs though, I have a juliana and a mini/pb.
Our chickens FR during the day, but their coop and run are inside the perimeter of the pig/goat area. They are locked up away from the pigs at night, but can choose to be in the pig/goat area during the day if they wish (and often they do). We also feed all of our animals in separate areas to avoid mishaps.
It has worked for us, but we may have just been blessed with docile pigs. (or luck)
Our gilt actually formed a special friendship with one hen in particular from our very first flock. This hen preferred to lay in the pig house, and I'd often find her on a makeshift nest right beside our sleeping pig. They seemed to enjoy each other's company, and could be found milling around together and frequently with Piggy asleep on her side with a happy hen picking at her skin or dosing along with her.
I swear Piggy actually mourned her when she died.

Anyways, sorry for the digression... It can work (not saying in every case, but it has in mine), but remember that everybody still needs their own shelter and space at night and during meal times.
Another possible factor: we provide a big area for our pigs (between 1/4 and a 1/2 acre). I could see problems cropping up with pigs kept in a smaller pen with less to occupy themselves.
Oh, and we also have never taken chances with youngsters. Any chicks we've had have had to stay in the run until they've reached nearly adult size. In our case, this is precaution is due to aerial predators, but I also wouldn't trust the pigs with chicks.

I don't know a thing about guinea hogs. I have seen pigs and chickens peacefully coexist. I have also seen hogs grab a full-size chicken and gulp it down feathers and all before anyone could do anything about it.

I think chickens and pigs are a good match, but I would make sure the chickens have a safe space the pigs can't enter, the other way around shouldn't be an issue.

I hope to one day get guinea hogs! I love there history and i think its important to preserve that breed. I personally have been keeping my potbelly piglets with goats chickens and guineas, so far so good lol
Update on this statement. All was good until my female reached breeding age. She started killing all chicks and chickens that got close to her nesting area also killed a few cats and bit a dog

Back
Top Bottom