Hampbar Chickens...who else has them?šŸ„

Apr 29, 2023
Glen Saint Mary, FL
I got a pair of these little darlings with my chocolate Orpington chicks last month from a local breeder. I had never heard of them before, but they were so pretty and the breeder said they would blend well with my flock (Americanas, Orpingtons, RIR, Australorp, Brahma). They really are sweethearts, right now around 15 weeks old and still learning the ropes...but it's really hard to find information about the breed other than their Canadian origin and autosexing cross w barred rock and New Hampshire. If anyone out there has any experience, please don't be shy!šŸ„°

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    851.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    964.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0464.jpeg
    IMG_0464.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 13
it's really hard to find information about the breed other than their Canadian origin and autosexing cross w barred rock and New Hampshire.
Well.. I have Welbar.. which is Welsummer cross Barred Rock in the first generation. The cross is correct but first generation crosses will be sex linked not autosexing.. then bred back together again.. create the autosexing thing (or *something* to this effect to make them breed true). They seemed unpopular when I first got them.. but fun to see them and other similar ones gaining momentum! Welbar were better birds in MY experience than Bielefelder.. I bet Hampbar are nice as well! I do love seeing the orange-red barring. šŸ„°

Other similar breeds are the Wybar, Rhodebar, Brussbar, and more..

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/autosexing-poultry/

Back
Top Bottom