Happy new mama!

Maugwa

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Goshen County, Wyoming
I had all but given up to get any of my girls to go broody. Out of 4 Barred Rock, 5 Golden Comets, 4 Buff Orpingtons, a Rhode Island Red hen, with the angriest RIR rooster I've ever met, not one broody all Spring or this far into the Summer. I kept that grumpy rooster longer than I wanted. He was rough on the ladies and abusive to my Coon Hound (who could have whipped him in a heartbeat, but knew he wasn't supposed to). I was just keeping him until I could get a hen to set, but gave up in early July and put that rooster in the freezer.

I decided to just order some chicks instead and raise them in a brooder. I wanted to try some different breeds anyway. I only wanted about six more hens and a replacement rooster, but I found that most hatcheries don't do small orders. I happened to see that Meyers would sell as few as three in the warm months, if you added a $20 heat pack. Then on further looking, I see they are having a sale for several weeks - there is free shipping if you get 15 chicks, but any less is $35 shipping - that's a pretty good sale IMHO. However, all in all, 15 chicks are far cheaper than 7 lol. So I decided to go with a straight run on everything to reduce the odds that I end up building a bigger coop. That ought to get me six or eight hens and a choice rooster, and I figure I can give away or make chicken noodles out of all the extra roosters.

Well I sent in that order, they couldn't ship my selection the first week, I had to wait two weeks for that combination to all hatch together, which was fine for me. But of all the coincidences, the very next day after I place my order, I have one of my Golden Comets go broody. Some may have still been fertile, the rooster had only been in the freezer a week, but I already have too many chicks in the mail coming. So I went out after dark one night, with straw in a dishpan, and moved her eggs and her into it. I draped a towel over her and moved her and her new nest to her own small coop and run. The next night she was still of a mind to hatch those eggs, so I swapped them with eight golf balls. She has been guarding those golf balls intently for two weeks.

But yesterday early in the morning, I got a call from the PO and my chicks arrived. I had a tote and a small 40w light (it's in the 90s here anyway) and a chick waterer with probiotics electrolytes, and Bragg's vinagar ready, and some chick feed. I got their beaks all dipped, showed them food, and went to town, home, and back to town (7 miles) and still made it to work on time at 7:00 am. 15 of 15, 100% were alive, healthy and looked great. When I got home about 5:00 pm, they had ate all their food, more than I thought they would, and drank a lot of their spiked punch. I had a little more time this time, so I inspected all their bums - no problems, and I fed them a little more chick starter, with a dab of cottage cheese, a boiled egg yolk, a bit of minced tomato and cucumbers. What a rambunctious rowdy little pigs! Every last one of them was super energetic, maybe just happy to get out of the little box they just spent 2 days in.

An hour or so after dark, I took one out to mama and slipped out one golf ball and in one chick. She didn't seem to mind, so I left her with it for another hour. I went back and checked around Midnight, and she was more defensive of her nest than I'd seen her yet. She always growled and puffed up but this time she shreeked, growled, and bit me for the first time ever. I lifted her and peeked, and saw a healthy happy chick, so I went and got the rest and swapped all the golf balls for all the chicks. 15 babies is a lot of babies, I know, but that was Meyer's idea more than mine. And it's been so warm anyway, they'll be fine I think. I peeked again at the crack of dawn, and they were all under her sleeping, looking good. I looked again before I left just before 7:00 she was still in her nest but she had chicks under her, chicks on her back, chicks pulling on her ears and wattles, and she had become vicious - not at all to the chicks, just to me. I checked them again after 5:00 pm when I got home and she has moved out of the nest into the coop. They devoured their whole tray of feed most of their chick juice, and are running around like crazy, until they fall over for a nap.

This little coop is 4' x 4' plus two 1' x 2' nest boxes. It also has a 6' x 12' run, and a 4' x 5' three sided chicken cave under the coop. I don't really use it as a coop any more, I just saved it for a nursery, or jail, or hospital. I haven't opened the pop door for her and the babies yet, (Well it was open for her for those two weeks, but not for her with babies yet) and probably won't for a week or two. It's 32" above the ground, and I don't want any chicks falling off the high end of the ramp, at least until they are a little bigger, get some feathers, and learn how to flap their wings some. When they are big enough to use their run, the rest of the flock can walk circles around the outside of the run looking, but can't touch. They know there are chicks in there already though, I see them listening and peeking in the window.

Miss Golden Comet is back in her nest tonight with her new family all doing fine, sleeping under her again. She is the proud and happy mother of 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Welsummers, 3 Speckled Sussex, 2 Partridge Cochin, 1 Blue Cochin, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 1 Partridge Rock, and 1 Rhode Island Red Meyer's chicks - who btw, I found to be excellent to do business with.

Hmmm, having trouble uploading an image, I'll figure it out and add a follow up.

Last edited:
Let's try this,
IMG_20190725_194538351[163].jpg

IMG_20190725_194423985[162] (2).jpg

Darn it, I lost one of the Partridge Cochins yesterday while I was at work. I found no signs of injury or pasty butt on his body. All the other 14 looked great, clean rears, and high energy. It was hot here yesterday, mid 90s, but that is where I'd have a brooder set anyway. The coop is in the shade and well ventilated. I was off by 2:30 (Fri), the hottest part of the day, and saw no problems with the rest. They still had plenty of feed and chick juice (water with probiotics, electrolytes, and Bragg's). I don't know what happened, stepped on by mama? Just a fluke? Choked on a wood chip?IDK? It's been nearly another day since, and the rest still look great. Any suggestions or ideas? Their chick starter was non-medicated, but I bought a little bag of medicated yesterday afternoon and gave them some of that, after the fact. Hopefully this stays a one chick loss. I've been checking them often, more or less hourly, and can continue until Monday morning, but I am not seeing any problems at all?

Last edited:
Congratulations! sounds like you are doing a great job, sometimes those things just happen.
One thing that I did notice that I thought was somewhat odd. I have never raised Cochins before but was somewhat surprised by the size of the three Cochin chicks, the one that died, and the two that are left. They are a lot smaller than the rest. These are not bantams, but full sized large fowl. By their descriptions on the site, they should grow into the largest birds I have. I was just surprised that they had to catch up before they outgrew the rest. I chose them specifically to increase the odds that I have broodies in the future (remember I didn't have any until I placed my order - funny thing is I thought the Orpingtons were likely last year, and the Golden Comets probably wouldn't - Ya never know, I guess). Are large Cochins usually smaller when they hatch? From smaller eggs maybe? They all supposedly hatched at the hatchery the same day. This is just the first time I've had them. Is this something you guys have found too? See here, the furthest to the left is the little Gold Laced Wyandotte, but the one 2nd from the left is the little Blue Cochin. Most are the size of the GLW. The Buff Orpingtons (yellow) are in between, but the Cochins were a lot smaller.
Little blue 2.jpg

I'm not familiar with Cochins, but I wonder if you got bantams by mistake? I'm not a huge fan of stuff in the water, maybe try going with just water for the chicks? Or offer them both? Don't want to risk them not drinking enough and getting dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom