Hard lump open skin back of hens head

Mrknugget13

Hatching
Oct 1, 2023
One of our hens has had a bald spot for some time on her head from the rooster. But between last week and this week though, a large lump developed and the skin is even open. If i compress it with my hand its rock hard. At first I thought is it possible she ate food and somehow got it back there? But if her throat was part of injury I would expect her to be in bad shape.

See pics. Ive browsed other forum posts about tumors and abscess etc not sure what to think. She acts fine otherwise. No puss no blood. Is it possible she got a bunch of in grown feathers and it created some sort of infection and then hard scab?…

The hard lump is about 1” long and 1/2” thick and wide

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpeg
    IMG_0760.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0759.jpeg
    IMG_0759.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 19
Hard to tell if that is just a wound and scar tissue from pecking. She is regrowing some pin feathers so hopefully they will leave her alone. I have used BluKote wound spray successfully to stop pecking of head feathers. Some have said it caused more pecking, so you would need to try it I suppose. If possible, you can separate the rooster during the day time or for a couple of weeks in a dog crate with food and water.

Hard to tell if that is just a wound and scar tissue from pecking. She is regrowing some pin feathers so hopefully they will leave her alone. I have used BluKote wound spray successfully to stop pecking of head feathers. Some have said it caused more pecking, so you would need to try it I suppose. If possible, you can separate the rooster during the day time or for a couple of weeks in a dog crate with food and water.
Just following up here- We did a blu kote spray and kept her in the mini coop in the barn doorway so she still with the flock just protected. Its been about a month, the lump is more/less unchanged. Seems like just a large scab etc. Its pretty solid, she seems unaffected by it, lays egg every other day etc. We are going to release her back into the flock hopefully the boys give her space and leave the scab alone.

Just following up here- We did a blu kote spray and kept her in the mini coop in the barn doorway so she still with the flock just protected. Its been about a month, the lump is more/less unchanged. Seems like just a large scab etc. Its pretty solid, she seems unaffected by it, lays egg every other day etc. We are going to release her back into the flock hopefully the boys give her space and leave the scab alone.
Follow up 2.0- the feather grew out again completely, lump is still there but less, I think its just scar tissue etc left from all the rooster lovin’.

Back
Top Bottom