Has anyone tried an implant to stop egg laying?

Noellereagan

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jun 20, 2018
Big Bend, Wisconsin
I know. It counterintuitive. But I do know that there is an implant that a vet can put into a bird to help reduce or stop laying entirely. I know it might be hard to fathom of why somebody would want to do some thing like this but my favorite little Serama hen, Pippa, is a tiny little thing, and she is having weekly problems with egg binding and soft shell eggs, and I have tried all of the remedies from full spectrum light to even reducing light to try to stop the frequency But soft shelled eggs keep getting lodged and no amount of calcium supplement does the trick either so I'm wondering if trying to implant to get her to stop laying all together would be the answer? I've heard good and bad about this implant. I'm hoping some of you have had experience with it and can further advise if it worked or not and any harmful side effects , that may have resulted? Obviously breeding pippa is not a priority for me. She is kind of my poster child for our breed club demos and things like that and I just love her to pieces and I don't wanna lose her but every week we're dealing with being egg bound with a large soft shell egg. in serama, Sometimes The seems to be an inherent problem that can't be remedied with light or calcium. It happens a lot more with the little ones than it does large fowl I think. Anyway, any advice or feedback on the implant if you've used it would be great! Thank you!

Since this is only something a vet can do, I'd check with the vet you would take her to. I don't think that's something many of us have experience with. In fact, I tried to search those here and mostly came up with human implants. Good luck though. I hope you can help Pippa!

I've read a few stories here about folks using the implants.
IIRC, some were pretty successful, others only partially.
Do you have a viable avian vet to consult?

I know. It counterintuitive. But I do know that there is an implant that a vet can put into a bird to help reduce or stop laying entirely. I know it might be hard to fathom of why somebody would want to do some thing like this but my favorite little Serama hen, Pippa, is a tiny little thing, and she is having weekly problems with egg binding and soft shell eggs, and I have tried all of the remedies from full spectrum light to even reducing light to try to stop the frequency But soft shelled eggs keep getting lodged and no amount of calcium supplement does the trick either so I'm wondering if trying to implant to get her to stop laying all together would be the answer? I've heard good and bad about this implant. I'm hoping some of you have had experience with it and can further advise if it worked or not and any harmful side effects , that may have resulted? Obviously breeding pippa is not a priority for me. She is kind of my poster child for our breed club demos and things like that and I just love her to pieces and I don't wanna lose her but every week we're dealing with being egg bound with a large soft shell egg. in serama, Sometimes The seems to be an inherent problem that can't be remedied with light or calcium. It happens a lot more with the little ones than it does large fowl I think. Anyway, any advice or feedback on the implant if you've used it would be great! Thank you!
Hi there! I am sorry that Pippa is having trouble laying. I had a BSL Jolene that had implant as she had EYP/internal laying. It winded up being too late and she didn't recover. As sad as it was, she died with us in her coop the way she wanted to go. I did help another BYC friend with advice on implants and her hen a production red, Mocha lived to the ripe age of six! So a much more successful situation. Please read this post for further information. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions

https://www.backyardchickens.com/conversations/implant-for-eyp.1196946/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom