Hatcheries

This is a small miracle. I was scrolling through this thread and was going to say....

I think all the mainstream hatcheries are going to be about the same with the exception of Mt Healthy.

We live in a small town with a small feed store who decided to get chicks from Mt Healthy this year. I am quite involved in the stores chick distribution and provide general help and What a disaster it has been.

Chicks aren't really arriving DOA but we have cockerels absolutely everywhere. The vent sexing was atrocious and that is putting it lightly. Obviously I don't know the entire extent, but I would personally never order from there i was in search of pullets.
I never heard of that happening with them before but I guess you never know. Are you sure the feed store didn't order straight run?

I got my chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery in OH. I am very pleased with them. I ordered 7 RIR pullets, got 9 RIR pullets and they all arrived healthy and happy and have stayed that way. They also offer Marek's vaccination. Other people I know that ordered from them also had similar very good experience. If I order chicks again it will be from them. The only problem is chicken math, I get the occasional promotional emails and look at their online catalog and it is literally all I can do to not contemplate building another coop/run and order more.
I started out with 6 but added 6 the following fall and added more this spring.Had to convert half the run to a coop to accommodate all of them. Chicken math is real! ;):)

Back
Top Bottom