Hatching of my first ducklings of the year - Particularly stressfull, but lessons learned!

Hello.

God... I feel so bad...

I just found the biggest one of my Light Dusky ducklings dead in its coop. Poor baby was crushed to death by its mama... throat-level!!

I know it a major risk when we let hens raise babies... especially with big hens such as Brahmas...
I was prepared to have some losses, but fact is : I am not happy about that.
I feel guilty, even though I know it is not my fault...

Poor baby. I hope Angels are good to it!

@shawluvsbirds :

Oh.My.God...!!

This Cayuga is so impressive...!! I have NEVER seen one so white!!
We (are supposed to) love Cayuga because of their black and shiny feathers, and yet, this one is just so amazing nobody could not want to take it home...!

Wow...
Seriously : wow...

Thank you very much for the pictures.

Hello.

God... I feel so bad...

I just found the biggest one of my Light Dusky ducklings dead in its coop. Poor baby was crushed to death by its mama... throat-level!!

I know it a major risk when we let hens raise babies... especially with big hens such as Brahmas...
I was prepared to have some losses, but fact is : I am not happy about that.
I feel guilty, even though I know it is not my fault...

Poor baby. I hope Angels are good to it!

@shawluvsbirds :

Oh.My.God...!!

This Cayuga is so impressive...!! I have NEVER seen one so white!!
We (are supposed to) love Cayuga because of their black and shiny feathers, and yet, this one is just so amazing nobody could not want to take it home...!

Wow...
Seriously : wow...

Thank you very much for the pictures.
Sorry you lost one. 😮‍💨
I know it's frustrating.
Anything can happen wether your brooding or letting them raise them. I've even had two cayugas that were co- brooding try to rip a duckling apart when it hatched.

Here are some more duck pics to cheer you up 🙂
20240419_144510.jpg
20230614_193133.jpg
20230614_193202.jpg

Hi!

Sorry you lost one. 😮‍💨
I know it's frustrating.
Anything can happen wether your brooding or letting them raise them.

Don't know... at least, it is easier for me - and to be honest : probably cheaper - when I let the hens raise the babies!

Last year already, I found my first duckling dead crushed to death by its mama...
And just some days later, another duckling had died in its coop, during the night - but not even crushed this time : he had probably died from cold or from fright, since there was a big storm then...

They die so easily, these poor babies...

(But with my smaller hens, I had no loss!)

...Thank you for your kindness!

I've even had two cayugas that were co- brooding try to rip a duckling apart when it hatched.

Wow... that's terrible!
I would have thought each one would want to be THE mama, and not kill it...?!

Here are some more duck pics to cheer you up 🙂
20240419_144510.jpg
20230614_193133.jpg
20230614_193202.jpg

Thank you!

I showed them to my mom, and she did not recognize the Cayugas, so white they are - ah, ah!

You know, I actually am thinking to bring home another breed of duck... and Cayugas are my first choice, since they are so beautiful, and pretty good layer... and it is sad to say, but in the worst case, if I can not give the young drakes born in my yard : they are renowed to have a delicious meat.

I am thinking about bringing some home in summer or fall, but I am still not sure if I am really going to take Cayugas or not.
But your pictures make me envious...!!

(If I adopt Cayuga, I would also like to make some mixed breed. I have seen some beautiful Cayuga cross ducks, and I would want to make some Chocolate coloured...!)

Hi.

Here is a picture of the ducklings taken just now :

DSC00009.JPG

God... they grow so fast...
(They seemed to be so much smaller yesterday...!!)

...White feathers are just starting to grow out from the yellow duckling, so I don't think it is lavender despite its feathers leakages...?

Since I hold it everyday so it can be used to me, I also could notice there are actually TWO colours in the leakages this time : gray/lavender/blue (whatever it is), and a darker colour that could be black or brown...

(Do somedy know about Splash Indian Runner...? What do they look like...? Because I do wonder if leakages in white feathers could mean the duckling would actually be Splash coloured?)

...I will post new pictures soon!

DSC00015.JPG

Back
Top Bottom