Hatching shipped eggs, some with bad air cells.

Green ⭐ isn't doing too well, I think it will pass over night.

I decided to chip away at the remaining eggs only to find 2 fully formed dead chicks and 1 mostly formed dead chick that hadn't absorbed the yolk sac. Plus the other 4 eggs were quitters about halfway through and has small chicks inside. Not terribly happy to see that none of the maran eggs hatched, 2 were the formed ones.

On the other hand the first 7 to hatch are doing perfectly fine! They quickly learned where the food and water is and they know the heat plate as "mom". The dark brown chick, green 🔷, is the only complainer who will do some loud peeps for no reason. I'm currently working on getting them all used to being handled by picking them up a couple times each day. Red ⭐ is the most responsive one when I stick my hand into the food, it comes running out from under the plate and picks around near my fingers.

On a whim I decided to try sexing them based on wing feather length. I am aware it is not really accurate for some breeds but here are the results.

Possible females
  1. Green 🟢, black and yellow ones with a half black beak
  2. Green 🔷, dark brown, feathered feet
  3. Green 🔺, mostly black with white chin (wing feathers are already visibly longer than the others)
  4. Red ⭐, yellow and grey
Possible males
  1. Red ❤️, light yellow/grey
  2. Green⬇️, light brown aka red
  3. Green ⬆️, black with white eye ticks, feathered feet, white neck/chin
It will be interesting to see how accurate the wing feather sexing is for these guys.

Poor little green ⭐ has passed.

I cleaned the brooder today and all the chicks are still doing well. They sure do drink more what than I thought they would. Before long I think I will tape two of the 2ftX2ft boxes together and adding some enrichment, like a clump of grassy dirt from the hard and some sticks for perching. They've been jumping around and on top of the brooder plate so I think it's about time.

Group pic while I was cleaning the brooder.
D9C7104E-D997-4BD7-B5A6-B7073DEE697A.jpeg
4925809D-ADD2-4E6A-9A24-6F5456512B29.jpeg

One chick is a loud mouth, not sure if it is bored or actually seeking some attention.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. This is a great place to explore and hang out.
You get shipped eggs my only advice let them sit like 12 hours after picking them up.

Back
Top Bottom