Have you ever trademarked a breeding project?

Trade Marked like this one from Cackle Hatchey, Cinnamon Queen™? I know that a TM is one thing and having it registered is something else. If memory is right anyone can TM a product if now one else is using it in their trade area. To ® costs money and you have to file for it. The ™ can be used by a person for a product without filing. It is not protected until it is registered. If you have a new breed a simple MyNewBreed™ is yours. That doesn't keep someone in China from doing the same thing. I took some business classes some years back and this topic was discussed. Wish I remembered more. You may can get more information on google. Be careful be for you do a search on the name of a product. I would have it in use before I googled to see if anyone else was already using it somewhere. HTH.

I know of a lot of people who breed chickens trying to come up with something new or better, but never heard of getting a trademark for it. Perhaps @MysteryChicken would know as one person I know trying to breed something different than the usual.
I don't think Trade Marking a chicken, or chicken breed is something that's really necessary.

I recall a thread where someone else asked about patenting a chicken breed.

Trade Marked like this one from Cackle Hatchey, Cinnamon Queen™? I know that a TM is one thing and having it registered is something else. If memory is right anyone can TM a product if now one else is using it in their trade area. To ® costs money and you have to file for it. The ™ can be used by a person for a product without filing. It is not protected until it is registered. If you have a new breed a simple MyNewBreed™ is yours. That doesn't keep someone in China from doing the same thing. I took some business classes some years back and this topic was discussed. Wish I remembered more. You may can get more information on google. Be careful be for you do a search on the name of a product. I would have it in use before I googled to see if anyone else was already using it somewhere. HTH.
Thank you for explaining the digference between the two symbols. It's not the Cinnamon Queen that sparked my concern but it was a line from Cackle Hatchery!
I didn't come up with anything brand new but I did come up with a very good marketing name for a semi-complicated breeding project that is usually sold under a fairly plain Jane name. I've searched google and this website for the name, and have found nothing. I don't even care if the it's used by other people; I'm surprised it isn't already. I really want to talk about it but my biggest concern is that someone else could ® my ™ and prevent me from using my own name.

I don't think Trade Marking a chicken, or chicken breed is something that's really necessary.

I recall a thread where someone else asked about patenting a chicken breed.
That's good. I'll have to look into differences between plants and livestock because my main concern is paralleled in the nursery business, where a nursery can trademark a name for a variety they produce but didn't necessarily create, and nobody else can sell that variety under that name. I said before, I don't care if anybody else uses the name, I just don't want to lose my right to the name simply because I didn't pay for a ®.

Thank you for explaining the digference between the two symbols. It's not the Cinnamon Queen that sparked my concern but it was a line from Cackle Hatchery!
I didn't come up with anything brand new but I did come up with a very good marketing name for a semi-complicated breeding project that is usually sold under a fairly plain Jane name. I've searched google and this website for the name, and have found nothing. I don't even care if the it's used by other people; I'm surprised it isn't already. I really want to talk about it but my biggest concern is that someone else could ® my ™ and prevent me from using my own name.
I used the Cinnamon Queen just as an example. If you use the symbol to sell I do not know if someone can take it away by filing for the ®. You need to talk to a Patent attorney first. A patent attorney lead an online class for patents and trademarks. If you are going to a lot of work with something that has promise as a valuable intellectual property I would want to protect my expenses and property.

Back
Top Bottom