Hawk Attack

ChikinInThePines

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2017
South Carolina, USA
Hey BYC!

Today I turned 29 years old...and just had my tonsils ripped out this morning in surgery due to recurring strep throat. 10/10 I would not recommend....
Back to chickens... Yesterday, our white Americana/Brahma mix (1 only) chicken was attacked by a hawk as we were sitting inside with the windows open. Our turkeys gobbled and ran, and there was a huge commotion. As I looked up at the window, a hawk flew off out from our front yard. I went outside and followed the turkeys as they were screaming and running to the bushes. I saw our white Americana (Lacey) tangled in a bunch of briars with the hawk sitting on top of her. The hawk saw me, and immediately flew away as I approached, but Lacey was still in shock not moving. I worked my way through the briars and gently picked her up double checking to make sure her neck was not broken, or any blood was seen. She is perfectly fine!!! Within 5 minutes of holding her she went back to walking around and eating like nothing happened. My guess is that she lost some feathers from the initial "pounce" of the hawk and ran off into the bushes. If I was not home, she most likely would have died...

I currently have all the chickens locked in their large covered run for now. Is there a "time frame" at which it would be OK to let them back out? I feel that since this hawk now had a somewhat "successful" catch, he will most likely be back...

I’ve lost too many birds to predators to free range, I don’t think there is a “safe time frame” to do it. Once an attack happens the risks of repeat visits increase substantially… the most aggressive seem to be from female raccoons with babies to feed.

All that said, it’s a choice with risk and I certainly understand the up sides to free ranging. If it were me, I’d keep them cooped up for a few days and see if the hawk returns, then letting them out if it seems like the greatest risk has passed, knowing that occasional loss just comes with the territory when it comes to free ranging.

Hey BYC!

Today I turned 29 years old...and just had my tonsils ripped out this morning in surgery due to recurring strep throat. 10/10 I would not recommend....
Back to chickens... Yesterday, our white Americana/Brahma mix (1 only) chicken was attacked by a hawk as we were sitting inside with the windows open. Our turkeys gobbled and ran, and there was a huge commotion. As I looked up at the window, a hawk flew off out from our front yard. I went outside and followed the turkeys as they were screaming and running to the bushes. I saw our white Americana (Lacey) tangled in a bunch of briars with the hawk sitting on top of her. The hawk saw me, and immediately flew away as I approached, but Lacey was still in shock not moving. I worked my way through the briars and gently picked her up double checking to make sure her neck was not broken, or any blood was seen. She is perfectly fine!!! Within 5 minutes of holding her she went back to walking around and eating like nothing happened. My guess is that she lost some feathers from the initial "pounce" of the hawk and ran off into the bushes. If I was not home, she most likely would have died...

I currently have all the chickens locked in their large covered run for now. Is there a "time frame" at which it would be OK to let them back out? I feel that since this hawk now had a somewhat "successful" catch, he will most likely be back...
I don't think you can put a time on when they would be back. I see hawks at my place daily, and more so if they have a nest close.

Hey BYC!

Ive had 7 chickens picked off by hawks , most in the last 2 years. I let them roam free so theres the risk. Ive noticed the 2 last remaining chickens left, I only let our an hour or two before dusk. It seems that hawks go to their nests after 5 pm. So far, its been a year and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom