Hawk-proofing a run that’s in the woods and need recommendations for your favorite netting!!

The battle goes on. My previous post of pictures for overhead fish lineKept the hawks from “diving “into my run. I didn’t take into account that hawks could sit on trees outside the run. Observe the birds, then fly down to the surrounding fence and just hop into the run.Back to the hardware store for more heavy duty fishing line. We are now connecting the fishing line, tying it at the fence, pulling it up through the trees to meet the previously installed fishing lines. Once we’ve surrounded the area with lines tied to the fence will drape additional mesh over that.We haven’t figured out what to do once we get to the gate but we’ll think of something. This, of course has been hours of tedious work, which could be on done the first time, a bobcat leaps into the chicken yard. we’re hoping he may sniff the electric fence first, but realize he may just take a leap. After the netting is secured, we will look into a tip previously mentioned about running an electrical tape around the top of the fence. if it would be helpful, I could take a picture of our new plan. Once everything secure, I would like to order more checks, but the hatcheries are sold out. It seems like forever of the ones I wanted. this seems like an incredible amount of work for six chickens of which three only lay periodically! But they’re my wonderful pets and my responsibility to keep safe. So sorry to hear about your loss.I’m not sure if you can tie to your type of fencing or not but thought I might add this, just in case

Purchased and installed the netting I posted the pic from from Amazon. It is draped all the way down inside the electric fence and staked. Zero issues so far but obviously we haven’t dealt with snow and ice yet. It is a pain to go in and out because we just have to pull the netting up and try to walk thru without catching every little thing in the net,
This was 100 bucks for 50x50 feet. Thanks for the responses!

The battle goes on. My previous post of pictures for overhead fish lineKept the hawks from “diving “into my run. I didn’t take into account that hawks could sit on trees outside the run. Observe the birds, then fly down to the surrounding fence and just hop into the run.Back to the hardware store for more heavy duty fishing line. We are now connecting the fishing line, tying it at the fence, pulling it up through the trees to meet the previously installed fishing lines. Once we’ve surrounded the area with lines tied to the fence will drape additional mesh over that.We haven’t figured out what to do once we get to the gate but we’ll think of something. This, of course has been hours of tedious work, which could be on done the first time, a bobcat leaps into the chicken yard. we’re hoping he may sniff the electric fence first, but realize he may just take a leap. After the netting is secured, we will look into a tip previously mentioned about running an electrical tape around the top of the fence. if it would be helpful, I could take a picture of our new plan. Once everything secure, I would like to order more checks, but the hatcheries are sold out. It seems like forever of the ones I wanted. this seems like an incredible amount of work for six chickens of which three only lay periodically! But they’re my wonderful pets and my responsibility to keep safe. So sorry to hear about your loss.I’m not sure if you can tie to your type of fencing or not but thought I might add this, just in case
What do you mean my electrical tape along the top?
Btw, I’m doing this all for seven chickens myself 😂

I can relocate to coop and run design if more appropriate but I’m seeking ideas for hawk-proofing (we just had our first death). The coop is at the edge of our yard but sits in the woods. We have electric poultry fence creating a yard but the problem is we have super tall trees actually in the chicken yard and I’m stuck trying to figure out the best way to hang netting with so many “obstacles”. Any ideas? I’d love netting recommendations-need to order today so I can deal with this asap. Feel so guilty for not already having it done so my girl could still be here 🥺
Wanted to share what we did for out enclosure as it works great in a wooded area. We made an 8 foot chain link enclosure then ran viny coated wire across the top every 2-4 inches. The wire we ordered from Amazon. We attached it with crimpers. It deters hawks but lets the leaves and some branches fall right on through without pulling the netting down. We are thrilled with it.

When I posted this a year ago, someone mentioned the electrical tape. I didn’t end up using it so I’m not familiar with it. It’s been a year now, I have 17 chickens and have not had one hawk bobcat, raccoon incident sense. I have the fenced area around that is three strings of electric fence, which I keep on day and night and they have the hog netting extending from the fence up into the treetops kind of like a circus tent. The bobcat has been in my neighbors yard several times Chasing rabbits . Since my chickens would be a tasty meal for him, I’m assuming he has met with my electric fence in the past and stays away.🐓🐾

Back
Top Bottom