Heat Stroke?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
Has anyone ever had a chicken have/die from a heat stroke?

Yesterday, one of my white rocks was doing fine around 2 p.m. I'd taken them some cold yogurt, kale, and tomatoes. A few hours later, I went to let them out for some free time, and she was walking around the run but wouldn't come out. I didn't think much of it, but about five or ten minutes later, she laid down. I went to pick her up to inspect her, and she didn't flinch (my chickens don't really like being handled), and I didn't see any obvious signs of trauma, mites, egg binding, etc. She did feel a little warm to me though, so I decided to take her inside and let her sleep in a dog crate for the night with some electrolytes to see if maybe she just needed to cool down. It took me a couple of minutes to walk back to my house, and by the time we got into the kitchen, her head was hanging. I laid her down in the dog crate, and she was still breathing, but then she did the whole wing flapping/flopping thing and died. It all happened so fast! The rest of the flock is fine. I inspected her again and saw no signs of anything. Her weight was good. Her comb was a bit pale, but they're all starting to molt, and that's not uncommon. Again, the only thing that was off is she felt pretty warm.

The only thing I can think is that maybe she had a heat stroke. I know it could be a million other things, but we suddenly shot up into the 90s yesterday after some cooler weather, and I didn't think much of it since we had 90s all summer, but I did give them cold treats, and they have a big fan in the run, plenty of shade and several waterers that are refilled a couple of times a day on hot days. The other thing that's weird is that I actually have some breeds that aren't that heat-tolerant (Cochins, etc.), so for the white rock to die from it would be kind of weird, I think. Unless she was just weak. She was about 15 months old.

I have lost a Buff Orpington last year due to heat stroke. The heat wave we had was bad, I didn't have an extra water source available at that time.

Did they die suddenly like that?
We just found her dead in the yard, everyone else was fine. She wasn't dead very long when we found her, maybe no less then maybe 30mins to an hour at most.

She was purple, kinda like those that die from a heart attack will look like.

Back
Top Bottom