Hen just sitting listless with humped back.

She just laid a relatively large soft-shell egg. I'll post pictures in a minute.

Do y'all think she's okay to go back in the coop?
I think yes, sometimes it’s less stressful to be with their friends in a familiar place :) you could maybe monitor for a few more hours and make sure she doesn’t have another egg backed up?

Here’s the egg.
IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3438.jpeg

Should I try giving her more calcium in case there is another egg?

Edit to add, I don’t think you need to give more calcium now if she seems okay.

But I do keep giving calcium for a few days afterwards just to help them catch up and avoid any further egg binding. What really helped us in the long run is cutting back on treats, though. Is she perked up now?

She just laid a relatively large soft-shell egg. I'll post pictures in a minute.

Do y'all think she's okay to go back in the coop?

She looks great; no more drooping.

Give her one calcium tablet every day until she lays normal hard shelled eggs again
☝️☝️☝️This!!
Give her Extra Calcium daily for at least a week. You don't have to crush the tablet, just pull down on the wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Now, remember how she looked today, store this in your chicken memory bank - associate the symptoms, behavior and stance you saw today and how you treated her for future episodes. I promise, it will come in handy.

Back
Top Bottom