Help! Chicken pooed yolk, now soft shell, not acting right

SheaB

Hatching
Mar 2, 2024
I noticed she pooped a yolk yesterday. Gave her Epson salt bath last night, dried her off. She did not eat all night. Put her out this morning, she walked around, drank water, staying puffed up and secluded. She tries eating some but she just not herself. What can I do? I am getting ready to crush a Tums tablet and mix in some water and syringe feed it. Any tips or am I possibly at risk of losing my baby?

Does it look like she has any pieces of shell inside her? Does she have a history of egg laying problems? How does her keel (breast bone) feel? After giving her the tums, try offering her a favorite treat and see if she would take it. I'm so sorry she's not feeling well!

Never a problem. Had her since chick and she lays daily. Always give treats, tons of water all through yard, scratch, egg shells, and just she pooped the whole yolk. The blue color shell was laying outside this morning. She runs, she moves but when alone sits puffed up. I just gave Tums tablet, she is now eating a little, and I gave another Epsom bath few min ago since had on e yesterday, blow dried her, and she walked and made couple noises finally. I have her inside right now alone to de stress, hlbe left alone and closely monitored. Should I be worried though? Anything else to look for? Lost one 3 weeks ago thought egg bound but nothing there she was puffed up and lame for 24 hours then passed that night. So I am upset, and scared, they are my babies.. I cannot lose her.

Welcome to BYC. How old is she, and what breed? Is her tail position up or down? I would give her calcium citrate with vitamin d daily for several days up to a week. The Tums will work for today until you get calcium citrate. Walmart and Walgreens sell generic calcium citrate fairly cheap. Caltrate is a brand name, more $$. She might be starting to have a reproductive disorder, but the calcium will help. Is she having any loose poops, and are they normal in color? Will she eat some scrambled egg bits and watery chicken feed?

Back
Top Bottom