HELP diagnose, limp, un-coordination, runny stool, blood on nostril?

slc

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Upper Michigan
HELP diagnose this problem, limp, un-coordination, runny stool, blood in nostril, will this spread?

I really need help in determining if this is a contagious disease starting so I can medicate or take action immediately. There are no vets with poultry training so I am on my own. I have the poultry health handbook but it is not helpful enough. It almost looks like ulcerative enteritis but not entirely. What has some of the same symptoms as enteritis plus a bloody nose?

We went out of town on Thursday. Wednesday night ample food and clean water were put out to last for 4 days. Flock was checked over and all seemed well. When I returned Sunday evening I found one chicken lying in the corner. I witnessed a very watery poop. I took the bird to my utility room table to look at it. It was too weak to stand, face very pale pink, dried blood near nostril, dry flakey feathers/down, sort of shivering or fever? Eyes were alert though. I offered some antibiotic water and poultry drench and put the bird in an isolated corner in a baby fence with a piece of plywood on top. Put in clean antibiotic water and put bird down near water. There is a second bird that is also weak but still walking somewhat. That hen is still eating and drinking, but clearly listless.
The hen is habitually injured buy treading and not generally accepted by the flock. The rooster is on the cull list anyway. I will most likely cull these two if there is no clear progress in the next day. It is the rest of the flock I am concerned most about.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
11 months large chantecler rooster, orpington hen

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Rooster very weak and limp, wont stand, unsteady if tries to walk, collapses after one or two steps, puts head on ground, found huddling in corner, saw him poop very watery stool, eyes seem alert, comb and face skin very pale pink, feathers seem dry/flakey, ruffled, dried blood near nostril, sort of shivering or maybe just scared from me poking around?

Orpington hen still moving around but walking unsteady and weak, still eating/drinking. This hen is repeatedly injured by treading rooster and was just healed from open wounds.. Both chickens seemed normal just three days ago.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Three days ago (Wednesday) all normal behavior, (Sunday) found both chickens in above condition.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
This instance no trauma. Rooster has dried blood near nostril.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We went out of town on Thursday and returned Sunday (yesterday), someone checked food & water for us and didn't report anything odd.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Rooster not eating, drinks if offered. Hen is eating and drinking when offered although she is weak and uncoordinated around the dish. The last week I have thrown out some “squirrel” mix that has cracked corn, sunflower seeds, peanuts etc. for fun and to encourage scratching in the litter. This is the only thing done different.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Rooster very runny and watery, I noticed other runny poops around. Didn't see hen poop yet.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Rooster got a dose of poultry drench, and Duramycin and Sulmet by dropper. Rooster is isolated with own medicated water and food. I did notice he was standing in his pen after I gave the drench. I am treating the whole flock with Duramycin and Sulmet in the water. Added colloidal silver to keep water source free from cross contamination. Changed food in feeders.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird till you can get to a vet?
There are no vets in the area that will treat poultry. I am on my own. I would be sad to loose the chickens but will do what is needed if this is contagious. I want to find out what this is and how to treat the rest of the flock before it spreads.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I do not.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
House is 11' x 22', vented, sand floor with deep pine shavings litter. There are 28 chickens total in house. New 6" layer of litter put down about 6 weeks ago. Litter under roosts is stirred/turned at least once every week to keep moisture and matting down.

Back
Top Bottom