Help!: Eye abscess

Phoenix77

Hatching
Jan 27, 2023
Meet Tiburon. She has developed an eye abscess and I am not sure how to support her. She is otherwise eating and laying just fine. It is tender to touch and developed after what looked like a pecking injury. I feared fowl pox at first but it’s been many weeks since she had her marks and no one else had developed any scabs. She kept scratching at the eye and has since irritated it further. We kept flushing it and have her localized Vetryicyn gel. I was paranoid and have been treating the flock with Denegard just in case. But this lump has become larger and now I think is time to drain it before becomes worse. Any advise on how to do it or do you think I should have a vet deal with it since it’s so close to her eye. Photo was taken after our most recent rains storm so the dark marks are mud not scabs. Any advise would be greatly appreciated🙏🏽❤️
7AA43C15-CA9D-4B02-8F7D-E60F99EF1605.jpeg

Bubbles in the eyes can often indicate respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. Hard to know if this is the cause or if it's due to injury.

General care is to flush the eye with saline, push out the pus that's in the eye, flush some more then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin into the eye. Repeat the steps as necessary. If the pus is firmly in the eye, then you may need to apply some warm compresses and work on the eye for several days. Flush and apply ointment 2-3 times a day.

If seeing a vet is an option, that would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom