HELP! Female muscovy drinking lots of water but not eating

deltav

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2022
I have 2 female muscovy ducks who are almost 2 years old.

One of them has probably gotten sick today and is acting in a very weird way: she's not eating anything, not even worms; she's constantly drinking water; and she isn't moving very much, choosing to stand next to the water bucket. There was a point when she was slowly walking towards the water bucket and she almost tripped over. She doesn't move in the way she usually does. Earlier today she spent all morning sitting under the duck house without moving. She's usually loud when we visit her and the other duck, but she's very quiet and refuses to interact with us or the other duck. She usually doesn't let us pet her or "inspect" her, but today she let me inspect her wings and everything.

We tried checking some parts of her body, including her wings, chest, feet, but she looks fine. However, she has been fighting with the other female duck in the past few days, so we wonder if the other duck could have possibly hit her in the head, causing a concussion. Her head looks fine though.

There are 3 eggs inside the duck house, and I'm not sure when they were laid. It could have been her, because I saw her sitting on the nest which has the eggs, but it could have been the other duck as well (who is very hungry today, perhaps because she recently laid). I wasn't able to find any poop from her (neither inside the duck house nor underneath it).

As I'm writing this, she's sitting on the ground, under the duck house. I want to isolate her from the other duck as well to help with inspecting her poop, etc.

We have no idea what could possibly be happening. Could anyone help us?

@Jenbirdee I don't think so. Two days ago she left the area where the ducks stay and she wandered around for a bit. However, there isn't anything toxic in there as far as I know.

@Miss Lydia thank you for the link, I'll check it.

Thanks you so much for the help

@Miss Lydia I am not sure what the normal is, but to me it looks like it's pulsing a bit. Here's a video. The quality might not be great, but her vent seems to be going down a bit, then up. Not sure if that's just a normal thing:

@Miss Lydia she's doing better :) I've given her a bowl of water with the epsom salts and she's been drinking that. I offered her some worms and she ate a lot of them, thankfully. She seems more lively, which is also good news, but she's definitely not feeling 100% well. She walked a bit more than yesterday, but spent most of the morning and evening standing still or sitting. I saw her pooping which means she can't be egg bound as far as I know. I researched duck diseases but wasn't able to find anything based on her symptoms. Generally speaking I think she's doing better than yesterday.

Tomorrow I want to give her some powdered Calcium that I'll get from egg shells. I'm still not sure why she is unwell, but I suspect she could have a impacted crop, since her crop was a bit big even though she stopped eating for quite some time. I'll check her tomorrow morning and if her crop remains big, it might be impacted.

Back
Top Bottom