Help identifying keet colours

But what did the female come from? The male had 2 choc genes, but the female had one blue and one....
I remember being taught that if a brown eyed man and green eyed woman had blue eyed babies, then the woman had an affair w/the milk man. Back then they didn't take into consideration that both grandfathers had blue eyes & the recessive gene tends to come out in the next generation.
I guess I need to go back and reread more of "wk 3". Did you tell me that their adult colors were only determined by their heads markings?
#1 def will be gray. #2, I can't seem to capture the color w/or w/flash. He has the stripes. But they're much lighter than the other,actually brown vs dark brown. His body isn't nearly as light as a buff dundotte like his daddy but creamy brown and tan. But if body color doesn't enter into it, it makes no diff. Mb it'll come out in future generations.
It was sad to lose other two, but not surprising. 1 was the other gray, much smaller than the others & I had to find it's wing bc it was stuck to it. The other was a good size, but I knew something wasn't right the night before. No pasty butt, had been eating, drinking,& active that day, but in evening just cldnt stand w/o falling over, eyes drooping, the other two kept barreling over it.

But what did the female come from? The male had 2 choc genes, but the female had one blue and one....
I remember being taught that if a brown eyed man and green eyed woman had blue eyed babies, then the woman had an affair w/the milk man. Back then they didn't take into consideration that both grandfathers had blue eyes & the recessive gene tends to come out in the next generation.
I guess I need to go back and reread more of "wk 3". Did you tell me that their adult colors were only determined by their heads markings?
#1 def will be gray. #2, I can't seem to capture the color w/or w/flash. He has the stripes. But they're much lighter than the other,actually brown vs dark brown. His body isn't nearly as light as a buff dundotte like his daddy but creamy brown and tan. But if body color doesn't enter into it, it makes no diff. Mb it'll come out in future generations.
It was sad to lose other two, but not surprising. 1 was the other gray, much smaller than the others & I had to find it's wing bc it was stuck to it. The other was a good size, but I knew something wasn't right the night before. No pasty butt, had been eating, drinking,& active that day, but in evening just cldnt stand w/o falling over, eyes drooping, the other two kept barreling over it.
Pearl Grays can come in various shades with some being darker than others. A Pearl Gray with two DSV (dark shade variant) genes will be darker than one without any DSV genes.

A guinea that exhibits the blue color will have two blue genes. If there is only one blue gene, the other gene whether it is recessive or dominant will effect the outcome. A gray gene will hide the blue gene. A buff gene plus a blue gene will result in a different color. A Coral Blue, a Lavender, a Sky Blue and a Powder Blue will all have two blue genes.

Oh no! Did you lose 2 of the 4 keets that you hatched??? I don’t realize that. I’m so sorry! You worked so hard to get those babies too! :hit

Oh no! Did you lose 2 of the 4 keets that you hatched??? I don’t realize that. I’m so sorry! You worked so hard to get those babies too! :hit
I did, same night. Like I said, neither seemed to be thriving like the surviving 2. These two are like mice scurrying around, and often bowled the others right off their feet. Leave it to me to buy special eggs and end up with two pearl grays. 🤣 That's ok, they're cute and fiesty, new blood. 😊

When the Internet abandoned Huddler, many sites that had guinea fowl color genetic information disappeared. I am convinced that the study of guinea color is lacking a lot of good information.

I create Royal Purple Guineas by breeding a Chocolate male to a Coral Blue hen. If the currently available information is correct, it would mean that there had to have been a mutation since the claim is that Royal Purple have the dominant gray gene. I have produced far too many Royal Purples this way to believe that all my Royal Purples have been from a mutation.

I am also not convinced that the chocolate guinea is a product of the buff gene in conjunction with 2 DSV (dark shade variant). I suspect that chocolate guineas have their own color gene but I cannot prove this.

Color Genetics of Guinea Fowl has some information but be careful that you don't believe all of it. The person that wrote it is trying to promote the idea that the white gene in guineas works the same way it does in peafowl. There is no evidence to support this claim.
So much to consider! I'm trying to learn through breeding as well, but it will take a couple of years and multiple generations, since I have no pedigree to follow for my current birds.

I too have found the information on Guinea genetics very lacking, and in most cases incomplete. It's a shame that so much has been lost. I reference that website quite often, but there are other sites that contradict some of what she says, so it is difficult to know which is correct.

Based off of your experience would you say all RP guineas have to have a chocolate parent?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, it has been a great help to me!

Back
Top Bottom