Help - Just hatched chick with open abdomen and guts are out - Save or Cull???

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
I have a chick that just hatched in my NurtureRight 360 that came out looking fine except part of its guts are not in the abdominal cavity. Like they came out through a hole that was supposed to close when the chick was growing, but it didn't close? I don't have a pic, but I see part of intestines, something really pinkish red, and something green. Can I save it??? Should I save it? I don't know how to put the organs back into the chick, and even if I did, it would need some serious antibiotics and would probably have health issues, and might not lay eggs right??? These chicks are backyard mix for my personal use/sale, and for producing eggs. I was hoping to sell some of these chicks as POL pullets. 8 have already hatched well and look healthy, so it's not an expensive bird or the only one, I just like its coloring a lot. I don't want to cull it, but I think that might be what needs to happen. I've also never culled a bird before. Thoughts???

I culled it. I tried to push the organs back in, but it just caused the chick pain, they weren't going, and it wasn't even one simple hole, but a couple bulbous areas, and more than just the intestines were out. Nothing I could do to help it live, so I made its end quick. I think I'll be sad for a while.

Back
Top Bottom