Help me figure out what I did wrong

Oh definitely experience is one of the best teachers! I've gotten so used to helping unless it's a really serious malposition I very rarely get flustered about lending a hand. I probably go a bit overboard but I find acting when it wasn't really necessary really hasn't hurt anything (adding things like safety holes) and waiting too long when it turns out it was necessary is much more dangerous for the chick.

With how much liquid was in the egg that tried to hatch I would guess you may not have been able to save the little one even had you acted sooner. Aspiration of liquids is a tough one. If it is present when they start learning to use their lungs (shorty after internal pipping) they may have already aspirated too much liquid to be able to breath properly through their lungs once the blood vessels finish absorbing and they no longer have access to circulatory respiration. It really does sound like you did a lot of things right and hopefully the next group will do better.

Glad to hear you won't be giving up, hatching is such a rewarding experience when it goes well!

Back
Top Bottom